Multiple solutions for a single task

Hi All,

Can anyone confirm that when we are givena task in ana actual lab and there are more than 1 ways to get same result assuming there are no restrictions then which one would we prefer, for example lets take SPT it asks for making SW1 the root for all active VLANS and SW4 to become active in case when SW1 fails,so there are two ways either change the priority or use macro command of "spanning-tree vlan 1-100 root primary/secondary" which command to use ,

thanks,

Tahir 

Comments

• Hi,

All I can suggest is that you read the question clearly and answer it in the context it is given.

For example if the question suggested that you give SW1 the highest probability of becoming root, using the macro with root primary may not good enough as it would give a priority of 4096 - if you manually set the priority to 0 there is still a possibility another device also with a priorority of 0 could become the root depending on the relative MAC addresses.

If there are multiple ways to implement something that conform to the requirements, you are usually free to do what you wish (Just be sure that there isn't any implied direction as to where you should go, I believe the section topic should give a rough idea)

Cheers,

Adam

• Hi,

Thanks for reply, the problem you explained i had that same reason but as Brian once told that they test you for expertises and that does not mean they will follow best practices and when doing lab dont think "what ifs" so i think it would be best to ask proctor in that regard.

• Although I don't really like it you always have to think your actual lab is also graded by a script. To get your points you have to think like a script :)

For instance, in a recent INE mock lab it was asked to configure two NTP servers and a bunch of clients. It was also requested to deny clock synch from unknown clients.

The correct solution of course is to use the ntp access-group command, but unfortunately in that particular moment I was very tired and didn't come in mind.

To complete the tickets I configured a control-plane policy on each NTP server to allow NTP clock sync only from known clients. According to the wording I completed the task because unknown clients are infact unable to get the clock...

Do you think a script will get this? The grading program will do some greps on ntp statements... if it was the real thing my points were gone.

Rule of thumb: avoid creative solutions unless there's really no other way to clear the task.

HTH

• So, the key is to understand what are they asking for in the task... which is not easy if we don't know all the available options...

• Fortunately the task wording in the actual lab is much clearer than in any INE mock lab or WB. It is very rare you won't understand what they want from you.

Still, keep in mind your lab will be graded by an automated system and THEN by a human proctor... at least this is my sensation, otherwise it would be impossible to have your CCIE lab result in 2/3 hours considering the huge amount of lines you and all the other candidates will configure that day.

• Fortunately the task wording in the actual lab is much clearer than in any INE mock lab or WB. It is very rare you won't understand what they want from you.

Glad to hear about this Soul.

I think nowadays, the killer is TS section.

• Hi soul,

Nobody can say if you would take or loose the points in this case. However, cause you selected a solution which is not directly related to the NTP configuration, you might loose the points, i mena even the script may be checking for the NTP related configuration. Now if you think about it i'm sure you would select the NTP access-group configuration.

Good luck with your studies!

• Hi all,

It seems nowadays the lab is 100% script based. If you pass, the proctor checks it only light, if you fail by far there is nothing to do about it, if you fail but close to pass proctor check carefully, at least in theory. Of course it's not good to count on last two options.

One more thing, nowadays, the killer is knowledge and being able to both construct/engineer a network (for configuration section) and destruct/reverse-engineer a network(for tshoot section). This needs very good understanding of technologies, both theoritical and practical.

Of course you need to know technologies in order to know all options for a task and choose the most straightforward, direct task which satisfies whole lab requirements.

Good luck with your studies!