vtp transparent mode

hi all, as i know vtp transparent mode can work with vtp ver 2 if we enable vtp transparent mode with vtp ver 1 then it should not receive and send vtp revision but when i configure vtp ver 1 manually as well as transparent mode then it still receiving and sending vlan info

so what cause could be here?

Comments

• Can you be a bit more clear and maybe post your config?

Good luck with your studies!

• There was a discussion somewhere on cisco forums and conclusion was:

* VTP transparent mode V1 and V2 act exactly the same in forwarding VTP

* If a domain name is set, then the domain name must match for the advertisment to be forwarded

* If domain name is NULL, then everything is forwarded

• actually i have set domain name like CISCO and enable vtp ver 1 then vtp mode transparent 

well 4 switches are connected in this sequence SW1 fa0/13 ----- fa0/13 SW2-fa0/16-----fa0/16-SW3-fa0/19------fa0/19-SW4

now SW1 is acting as vtp server and SW2 is acting as vtp client as well as SW3 is acting as tranparent mode and next SW4 is confgured as client 

all switches are configured as vtp ver 1 and vtp domain CISCO !!!!!1

when i change any thing with vlan on SW1 then SW3 receives changed revision.

why it is happening here?

• What do you think it should receive? It's internal revision is 0 for transparent mode, it can receive and send any other revision number, which is not synchronised to internal value. Better show cli output and say what you don't like.

• Post here the following: "show vtp status" from all 4 switches, let us know what filed on which switch you think it is not correct.

Good luck with your studies!

• This is the output of show vtp status of transparent switch

SW2#show vtp status
    VTP Version                     : 3 (capable)
    Configuration Revision          : 0
    Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
    Number of existing VLANs        : 5
    VTP Operating Mode              : Transparent
    VTP Domain Name                 : null
    VTP Pruning Mode                : Disabled (Operationally Disabled)
    VTP V2 Mode                     : Enabled
    VTP Traps Generation            : Disabled
    MD5 digest                      : 0xE3 0x9A 0xC8 0x6E 0x38 0x33 0xB7 0
    Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 0-0-00 00:00:00
    VTP version running             : 2

Remember the revision number of transparent switch is always 0, you missed something on your switches. The revision number of SW3 should not be changed because it is transparent.

show vlan brief and show vtp status of all switches.

HAPPY STUDY

[:D]

actually i have set domain name like CISCO and enable vtp ver 1 then vtp mode transparent 

well 4 switches are connected in this sequence SW1 fa0/13 ----- fa0/13 SW2-fa0/16-----fa0/16-SW3-fa0/19------fa0/19-SW4

now SW1 is acting as vtp server and SW2 is acting as vtp client as well as SW3 is acting as tranparent mode and next SW4 is confgured as client 

all switches are configured as vtp ver 1 and vtp domain CISCO !!!!!1

when i change any thing with vlan on SW1 then SW3 receives changed revision.

why it is happening here?

• Google " old-ccie-myths-vtp" and you will find correct info.

HTH...

Deepak Arora

http://deepakarora1984.blogspot.com

• Helo ssfouzdar

Well As per the study i have done i think only Catalyst 3560, the only switch we care about in CCIE R&S exam, behaves the same way in VTP version 1 and VTP version 2

transparent mode in regard to relaying VTP updates.

Happy Studying

• Hi Shiv,

Are you using physical switches or virtual switches in GNS3?