storm-control issue

hi, i know storm-control is used for providing protection against unicast, brodcast and multicast so am i right?

well, i have to control traffice on three access-link with protection from broadcast storm so condition is, this protection should begin once brodcast traffic is 60% available bandwidth

and the port should remain functioning during this time.

so i have configured this:--- storm-control broadcast level 60

is this right config for this condition or what should i do for this?

another question is :- what happens when limit reach to given bandwidth like in this question 60% then what will happen when 60% will be completed?

Comments

• This is correct.

And go through this documentation what Strom-Control behaves when it exceeds your defined condition.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/storm.html#wp1039559

HAPPY STUDY

[:D]

• "The port should remain functioning during this time" means the violate action is "trap" and not "shutdown"/"err-disabled". Make sure this is the default behavior on that platform, otherwise configure it.

Good luck with your studies!

• "The port should remain functioning during this time" means the violate action is "trap" and not "shutdown"/"err-disabled". Make sure this is the default behavior on that platform, otherwise configure it.

hi cristian, could u give some brief explaination on this trap and shutdown ?

actually  nothing is configured on this switch nor snmp.

• I don't want to be rude, but the scope of this forum is to clarify some technology aspects, debate on INe products SG, not to actually learn what is explicitly specified in the Configuration Guide.

Check it out for yourself in the 3560 Configuration Guide, if still have technology gapes, come back.

• I don't want to be rude, but the scope of this forum is to clarify some technology aspects, debate on INe products SG, not to actually learn what is explicitly specified in the Configuration Guide.

Check it out for yourself in the 3560 Configuration Guide, if still have technology gapes, come back.

ok but i am not here to getting heart anyone if you got heart due to my question then sorry for this but i just wanted to clearify my query if we can not discuss out of scope of INE workbook at this forum then ok  

• Shiv,

Very briefly, "trap" refers an SNMP trap - i.e. if the configured storm-control threshold is crossed, the port stays active but a trap (notification) is sent to the management station.

"Shutdown/Err-disable" means if the threshold is crossed, err-disable it (requires you to shut/no shut).

HTH

• Hi,

This is my personal opinion only, what i've previously said. We can discuss everything in here, but you should as well do a little research on your own (after all i said to just look in the Configuration Guide, not on google or other forums). I mean study the technology and if you have any questions you should ask it here for sure. I hope i was not misunderstood. It is specified in the Config Guide that you have two storm-conrtol violation options:trap (SNMP) and shutdown/err-disabled. Trap means port stays up, blocks exceeding traffic and sends SNMP trap if configured (snmp-enable traps storm), shutdown means the port gets into err-disabled, gets in the down state.

Good luck with your studies.

• From Cisco doc :

Step 4 

storm-control action {shutdown | trap}

Specify the action to be taken when a storm is detected. The default is to filter out the traffic and not to send traps.

imageSelect the shutdown keyword to error-disable the port during a storm.

imageSelect the trap keyword to generate an SNMP trap when a storm is detected.

Step 4 

Specify the action to be taken when a storm is detected. The default is to filter out the traffic and not to send traps.

Step 4 

•Select the shutdown keyword to error-disable the port during a storm.

•Select the trap keyword to generate an SNMP trap when a storm is detected.

HTH..

Deepak Arora

http://deepakarora1984.blogspot.com

• R3(config)#int fa1/0
    R3(config-if)#storm-control broadcast level 60

R3#show storm-control fastEthernet 1/0
    Interface  Filter State   Upper    Lower    Current
    ---------  -------------  -------  -------  -------
    Fa1/0      Forwarding      60.00%   60.00%    0.00%

Two strom-control actions are available: shutdown and trap.
    R3(config)#int fa1/0
    R3(config-if)#storm-control action shutdown

If you configure the shutdown action,  the shutdown option puts the interface on error-disable state.
    You can use show interfaces status command to verify the status of interface.

According to Cisco Documentation, the default action is:
    The default is to filter out the broadcast traffic and not to send out traps. This sentence seems, it just blocks the broadcast traffic when it reached the uppper threshhold.

If you want to just trap the information via SNMP
    Use storm-control action trap command under interface but you should enable storm-control traps on SNMP configuration to trap storm-control info via SNMP.

Little bit more info on this page as well

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sga/configuration/guide/bcastsup.pdf

HAPPY STUDY

[:D]

hi, i know storm-control is used for providing protection against unicast, brodcast and multicast so am i right?

well, i have to control traffice on three access-link with protection from broadcast storm so condition is, this protection should begin once brodcast traffic is 60% available bandwidth

and the port should remain functioning during this time.

so i have configured this:--- storm-control broadcast level 60

is this right config for this condition or what should i do for this?

another question is :- what happens when limit reach to given bandwidth like in this question 60% then what will happen when 60% will be completed?