Should I request a reread?

I took the CCIE R&S in San Jose on Monday and walked out knowing that I had passed.  Come to find out, I failed the troubleshooting section and passed the configuration.  I could not believe that I failed the troubleshooting and it took me some time to figure out why I failed.  During the TS section I completed all tickets and verified them 100% with 30 minutes to spare.  I spent this 30 minutes double, triple checking every part of every ticket, reviewing the rules and restrictions to verify I did not violate anything.

Now, like I mentioned I know that I completed all tickets; however, I had asked the proctor a question regarding one of the tickets which I believe he gave me the wrong information on.  Due to NDA I can not tell you what the ticket was or what the misinformation he gave me was.  It was simple clarification question on what the end result of a question should be.  It had nothing to do with my technical knowledge but interpretation of the question.  Our conversation is below:

Me: "Is the question asking me to do A or B?"

Proctor: "Can you make B happen?"

Me: "Yes"

Proctor: "Then do that"

Looking back on that conversation and the ticket itself, I realized that he gave me the wrong information.  I was supposed to do it the other way which is why I missed that question.  If I had done it the other way, I would have got credit for that ticket and therefore would have passed the exam.  He seemed to be a little unsure himself about whether I should do it one way or another.  If he had graded the lab himself, I believe he would have gave me credit for it since he told me to do it that way.

So my question is: Should I request a reread or just reschedule for another attempt?  Has anyone done a reread and is this the type of thing that would take a grade from FAIL to PASS?  I noticed on the page that when you request a reread, they provide you with a place for comments where I could describe, in detail, this same scenario and hope that they would talk to my proctor who could confirm our conversation.

Comments

• If you feel you are close you should request a read.  Although the number of people who pass on a reread is low I still do hear about people passing on a reread.

I'm going out on the limb here but maybe the proctor knew that solution B violated the rules/restrictions and that's why he asked if you could do it. 

Brian Dennis, CCIEx5 #2210 (R&S/ISP-Dial/Security/SP/Voice)

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

Reply-To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:09:19 -0500
    To: Brian Dennis <[email protected]>
    Subject: [CCIE R&S General] Should I request a reread?

I took the CCIE R&S in San Jose on Monday and walked out knowing that I had passed.  Come to find out, I failed the troubleshooting section and passed the configuration.  I could not believe that I failed the troubleshooting and it took me some time to figure out why I failed.  During the TS section I completed all tickets and verified them 100% with 30 minutes to spare.  I spent this 30 minutes double, triple checking every part of every ticket, reviewing the rules and restrictions to verify I did not violate anything.

Now, like I mentioned I know that I completed all tickets; however, I had asked the proctor a question regarding one of the tickets which I believe he gave me the wrong information on.  Due to NDA I can not tell you what the ticket was or what the misinformation he gave me was.  It was simple clarification question on what the end result of a question should be.  It had nothing to do with my technical knowledge but interpretation of the question.  Our conversation is below:

Me: "Is the question asking me to do A or B?"

Proctor: "Can you make B happen?"

Me: "Yes"

Proctor: "Then do that"

Looking back on that conversation and the ticket itself, I realized that he gave me the wrong information.  I was supposed to do it the other way which is why I missed that question.  If I had done it the other way, I would have got credit for that ticket and therefore would have passed the exam.  He seemed to be a little unsure himself about whether I should do it one way or another.  If he had graded the lab himself, I believe he would have gave me credit for it since he told me to do it that way.

So my question is: Should I request a reread or just reschedule for another attempt?  Has anyone done a reread and is this the type of thing that would take a grade from FAIL to PASS?  I noticed on the page that when you request a reread, they provide you with a place for comments where I could describe, in detail, this same scenario and hope that they would talk to my proctor who could confirm our conversation.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Same happened to me two weeks ago. Passed conf and failed TS although I'm more than sure I didn't violated any rule and all tickets were fixed.

I have asked for a re-grade and I'm still waiting for it.

I know it's not a wise solution but since the re-grade success is around 0.3% and I don't believe Cisco is willing to turn my exam into a pass unless there's an evident issue on the grading system (basically something absolute and not subject to interpretation)... I booked another attempt for October.

Waiting 4/5 weeks for the re-grade response and then book another attempt will mean having the next attempt in December and I don't want to wait so much time.

Like I said a few posts ago: it's like betting against your favourite team - if the team lose the match you are happy, if they win you are happy anyways :)

If it will be a pass I've lost good money but I'll be CCIE. If I won't pass the re-grade at least I don't have to wait 3 more months.

Good luck!

• I am with Brian on this - it is the way he has phrased it top catch you out. This is a very mean thing to do, but within the proctors realm of evilness.

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

What was your percentage on TS?  If 64 or lower, you missed by more than just that one ticket.

Resit the exam.  That's at least my battle plan.  July I passed config.  August I passed TS.  October I will pass both.

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

I thought some more about this.  Probably too late as you've likely gone ahead in one direction or the other.

In your case, there's little reason to think a reread will change the outcome.  Aside from the proctor not remembering answering you as he did, it's possible that Cisco doesn't keep your configs, only the output from the commands used to collect data from which they grade.