Home Lab Problem

Hi

I am building my home lab according to the INE specs which states sw3 connects to sw4 on port Fa0/19 - 21.

Both switches are a 3550, when i connect these using a straight cable it fails to come up. it just has a message saying "noconnect" under port status. All other connections work, 3560 to 3550 etc.

Can anyone help me on this, what am I doing wrong?

Comments

• You will have to use crossover cables between the 3550 switches. They don't support auto-mdix as far as I know.

best regards,

Jochen

• Thanks, will give that a shot and let you know next week.

• That is definetly the problem 3550 needs cross over cables get them and you will be good to go.

• An Ethernet crossover cable is a type of Ethernet cable used to connect computing devices together directly. Normal straight through or patch cables were used to connect from a host  to a Network , hub or Router. A cable with connections that "cross over" was used to connect two devices of the same type: two hosts or two switches to each other. Owing to the inclusion of Auto MDIX capability, modern implementations of the Ethernet over twisted pair standards usually no longer require the use of crossover cables.

Happy studying