1st step in taking lab practice

Hi All,

I just want to know on how do you usually approach/handle for your lab practices?

are you going through all the question 1st?

do login to each devices and verify if the ip addressing are correct based on diagram?

do you contruct your own L2 diagram? by using sh cdp neighbor?

do you take a quick glimpse for sh run? spotting for unusual config that is not present?

then, if all based config and L2 are constructed you go now proceed with configuration... does any one has a better or fastest approach aside from this? maybe those who previously exam takers or passed the exam would have a better idea.

I highly appreciate your suggestion and advise guys.

happy labbing.

Comments

• Here is what I would do:

1. Read the lab atleast twice. See what later sections can impact your prior configurations.

2. Make a task table with details like points for task, finsihed or not, score etc

3. Check your devices for initial configuration faults including VLAN assignments

4. Verify your L2 topology against the L2 diagram using sh cdp neighbor, Also see if BB devices are routers or switches and if switches then how those can impact your L2 configs

5. Configure SVIs or L3 interfaces on the switches as per your Diagrams

6. Configure your L2 configs as lab asked

7. Verify your connecitivity to directly connected neighbors for instance using PING

HTH...
    Deepak Arora

http://deepakarora1984.blogspot.com

• Hi Deepak,

just want to say thank you for your advised this really helpful to me and to others. i will keep this in my note. regards,

• Cdolores,

In addition I strongly advise you to read the appendix A,B and C from the following blog post http://blog.ine.com/2010/10/09/how-to-pass-the-ccie-rs-with-ines-4-0-training-program/

Hi All,

I just want to know on how do you usually approach/handle for your lab practices?

are you going through all the question 1st?

do login to each devices and verify if the ip addressing are correct based on diagram?

do you contruct your own L2 diagram? by using sh cdp neighbor?

do you take a quick glimpse for sh run? spotting for unusual config that is not present?

then, if all based config and L2 are constructed you go now proceed with configuration... does any one has a better or fastest approach aside from this? maybe those who previously exam takers or passed the exam would have a better idea.

I highly appreciate your suggestion and advise guys.

happy labbing.

• Did you guys use alias to speed up ?

Someone enforce a couple of aliases during the lab , which do you suggest?

Thanks

• olist,

I tried using some aliases during practice, but didn't think the time required to set up the aliases from scratch at the lab was worth it.

I have also heard that proctors don't like extra things such as aliases or files saved to flash on the routers/switches...

Did you guys use alias to speed up ?

Someone enforce a couple of aliases during the lab , which do you suggest?

Thanks

• Darrel,

So when you take your actual exam Darrel did you use some extra aliases or u did like something what Deepak says, appreciate to hear your version on steps taking the actual exam. thanks.

• When I took the Lab Exam, it was v.2, so some things have definitely changed.

i felt that being able to type commands quickly and accurately, verifying after each step, was more important than configuring aliases that could bite you if you forgot to remove them before the script/proctor graded the configuration.

Of course, the more you are able to configure without using "?" or the online documentation, the better. "?" is better and quicker than using the online documentation, so the better your understanding of the base technologies and protocols, the quicker you can get your configurations together. Just use the online documentation for the less well-known cases as needed.

• Thanks Darrell nice thought of you!

To: [email protected]
    Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 12:55:16 -0700
    Subject: Re: [CCIE R&S General] 1st step in taking lab practice

When I took the Lab Exam, it was v.2, so some things have definitely changed.

i felt that being able to type commands quickly and accurately, verifying after each step, was more important than configuring aliases that could bite you if you forgot to remove them before the script/proctor graded the configuration.

Of course, the more you are able to configure without using "?" or the online documentation, the better. "?" is better and quicker than using the online documentation, so the better your understanding of the base technologies and protocols, the quicker you can get your configurations together. Just use the online documentation for the less well-known cases as needed.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Using ALIAS is big NO NO for me. But its just me I guess. If you configure them I would advice you to remove them too once done with lab. 

On the other hand I used Notepad allot during my both attempts and it really helped me with speed, Specially during L2 configs and in BGP.

Thanks!

Deepak Arora

http://deepakarora1984.blogspot.com