Post your lab pictures!

Come on and admit it, you know you like checking out other people's racks!!!

On the other hand; looking at gear gives you good ideas on what you can do when you build your own sexy rack.

Matt George's Home CCIE Lab

Comments

• good job....

• Here is an older picture:

Since this picture, I've added another 1x3560 48pt and 2x3550s.  I've also finished cabling it up.

• I used to use that for my Avatar :o)

• Sorry for the blurry pic but here's my lab rack currently being used to study for my CCNP as well as other feature testing within a lab environment before we push changes into production.

Top-down:

2511-RJ for Console access to the switches

1-3560-24-PS (sw1)

1-3560-48-PS (sw2)

3-3550-48 (1 breakout switch and sw3 & sw4)

Dell 1850 Server to virtualize R1-R6 & BB1-BB3 running Ubuntu Server w/ dynamips

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• CCIE Lab

Here is the lab I am working from.

• Thanks! :)

A Pet-Peeve of mine. Can't help it.

I guess after walking into enough comm closets that look like they have puked on themselves, you just do it second nature.

•  

I guess after walking into enough comm closets that look like they have puked on themselves, you just do it second nature.

<grin>

• @ ToxicAvenginator

;) lol

We should start a new thread, the worst comm closet you have seen. Also After Pictures. lol ;)

• Can one hear anything in that room with all the devices and the window AC unit I think I see?  LOL.  Anyone take a Db reading?

•  

yep..its sitting on the floor ...! ...5 feet from my bed!

• I don't mean to be personal. Have you got a Body Odour problem - can of Lynx sat on top of the routers on the desk?

I couldn't cope with the noise - why don't you use rack rentals or DYNAMIPS - you can then hear your self think!

I ashamed to say that I have two piles of cisco kit I never used - a bad investment and probably very lazy.  I guess will have to go on ebay sometime!

• That is real is some real nice Cisco p0rn macdonaldj.

• Like that wall poster! Beat the one of Kermit i have. :(

• I don't mean to be personal. Have you got a Body Odour problem - 

the bodyspray???!!!

do you shower cause you have bodyodour problems?

do you brush your teeth cause you have chronic halitosis ?

its just part of my daily cleanliness regiment and some people are more meticolous (like myself) than others...my rack and study table get wiped clean with alcohol wipes every 2 weeks ..thank god one of those wasn't visible in the picture...you woulda thought i have an drinking problem....hell if i had left my creatine suppliment from the GNC laying around i woulda been accoused of using steroids...  :-(

those afrin bottles...yes..i have bad sinuses...

as for the sound...any of you guys other than Brian have actually heard 10 routers and an AC work together??...they aren't loud at all...i actually find the background sound to be soothing..its a steady low hum...

lastly..you CANNOT study for the CCIE lab on dynamips..at least right now..if you can..and if you pass...then you are a better smarter man than myself...

• Like that wall poster! Beat the one of Kermit i have. :(

thats just laziness on my part...when i wanna look at my topology...i simply look up!

*besides..it serves as a constant reminder of the looming lab and keeps me constantly afraid.....and fear promotes hard work...(so i keep myself scared shitless[:(] )

otherwise..i'd never get this done...my first (half assed) attempt ws way back in 2001..i coulda been like Brian here and been one of the younger CCIEs..but at that time i chose partying over studying...dont want that to happen again...hense..fear = good

• as for the sound...any of you guys other than Brian have actually heard 10 routers and an AC work together??...they aren't loud at all...i actually find the background sound to be soothing..its a steady low hum...

Yes, that is why I buried mine in the basement under the stairs near the house heating/AC.  I guess it was not as soothing to me. :o)

• Its a great idea - i am off to the printer on Monday to get me one. I really do not know why i did not think of this...doh!

Never heard of anyone taking creatine for the CCIE - may try that! :)

• Another thing you can do is print it regular size at Kinkos/FedEx, but then laminate it.  Usually with the hard laminate (whatever the thickest they have) you can draw on the diagram in dry erase marker, and then clean it off with window cleaning spray like Windex.

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Big Evil
    Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:33 AM
    To: Brian McGahan
    Subject: Re: [hardware] RE: RE: Post your lab pictures!

Its a great idea - i am off to the printer on Monday to get me one. I really do not know why i did not think of this...doh!

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

• We have thought of doing someting simular at work with the P & PE - then when we wish to talk about a new add (customer) we can draw on what we want. Makes explaining better and the dredded white board of doom that people ask "is that a router?" - "no it is a piece of cheese, we now sell cheese here - being a ISP was borning" Sheeh! :) 

•  

lol nah man...i'm an ex powerlifter ....used to compete(2ice)...now i go to the gym when and if i can...its a luxury i dont have the time for right now...or will ever i doubt..other than "working out" like every other regular joe...

although i DO take acetyl L-carnitine

http://www.wellnessresources.com/tips/articles/acetyl_l_carnitine_anti_aging_for_brain_cells_and_metabolism/

above is a generic quick google article but i've been following research on this little amino acid since my freshie days at college..back when i used to be obsessed with researching LEGAL substances for performance enhancement..(scouring thru medical and sports med journals)

i used the Twinlab brand (best brand in my humble opinion and buy it from amazon ...cheapest price there)

*i got my lab print out from Fed-ex (Kinkos)..the black n white did not cost more than $10...

• lastly..you CANNOT study for the CCIE lab on dynamips..at least right now..if you can..and if you pass...then you are a better smarter man than myself...

Completely agree - but you can't carry a rack of kit arround with you - what do you do on long boring train journey - use DYNAMIPS - assuming there is power outlet for your laptop.  3G is pretty patching so is's the only option.

I've spent most of my time on rack rentals because I'm lazy to fair.

I just thought it was a funny place to leave a bottle of deoderant [:D]

You must get into a zen like trance with the purr of the fans then - I just didn't want to wake the neighbours.

My only problem has been (once) loss of Internet connectivity from my ISP.

• Yes, that is why I buried mine in the basement under the stairs near the house heating/AC

I guess it saves on heating in the winter! The trouble is in the UK our houses are not that big so where are you going to put the rack.  Somewhere where the boss (wife) will allow i.e. behind my desk!!!!

Also we don't generally have aircon in the UK so too hot in summer and too hot in the winter.

What about the electrity costs of running the rack at home?

• lastly..you CANNOT study for the CCIE lab on dynamips..at least right now..if you can..and if you pass...then you are a better smarter man than myself...

Completely agree - but you can't carry a rack of kit arround with you - what do you do on long boring train journey

in the near future i dont expect to be teaching (i teach CCNP/CCNA) anytime soon..so work is out of the window...

i wont be travelling

i wont be vacationing

i'll be plopping my ass in front of my rack morning till nite....other than the ocassional jog outdoors <and picking up a class when i absolutely must..i have this horrible habit of ..well..eating...totally unacceptable..but cannot be helped>

besides...i tried installing dynamips on my PC for about 10 mins..it gave me some hypervisor error...and i said "forget it"

i'm not a computer/PC/buy the latest cell phone sorta guy...the ONLY thing i use my PC for is e-mail and putty!  eventually i'll learn to install dynamips and (boredome enduring) learn to get past the kabuki dance i might have to do to get it running...I love routing and switching...its interesting...fiddling around with a PC to get dynampis to work?? that rates right up there with  itching my brain right thru my eyeball...<shrug>

..when it becomes imperative to current position as an engineer to learn it...i will...till then...not a chance...

• It's a cost benefit analysis. Your time is worth money, and time is something you never get back. Setting up a completely functional dynamips lab takes time. It's not that it's bad, it's just that you can't expect to double click the icon and everything magically works. 

Sure buying your own equipment or renting racks obviously costs more money, but what is your time worth?

Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/Security)

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

On Jul 23, 2011, at 2:27 PM, "ToxicAvenginator" <[email protected]> wrote:

image welshydragon:

image ToxicAvenginator:
    lastly..you CANNOT study for the CCIE lab on dynamips..at least right now..if you can..and if you pass...then you are a better smarter man than myself...

Completely agree - but you can't carry a rack of kit arround with you - what do you do on long boring train journey

in the near future i dont expect to be teaching (i teach CCNP/CCNA) anytime soon..so work is out of the window...

i wont be travelling

i wont be vacationing

i'll be plopping my ass in front of my rack morning till nite....other than the ocassional jog outdoors 

besides...i tried installing dynamips on my PC for about 10 mins..it gave me some hypervisor error...and i said "forget it"

i'm not a computer/PC/buy the latest cell phone sorta guy...the ONLY thing i use my PC for is e-mail and putty!  eventually i'll learn to install dynamips and (boredome enduring) learn to get past the kabuki dance i might have to do to get it running...I love routing and switching...its interesting...fiddling around with a PC to get dynampis to work?? that rates right up there as things i'd rather be doing as  itching my brain right thru my eyeball...<shrug>

..when it becomes imperative to current position as an engineer to learn it...i will...till then...not a chance...

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• It's a cost benefit analysis. Your time is worth money, and time is something you never get back. Setting up a completely functional dynamips lab takes time. 

Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/Security)

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

couldn't have said it better.

id rather spend my time studying....

<side bar* although i'm well aware that eventually i'll just have to overcome my gag reflex and pick up some MCP book to at least have a borderline functional working understanding of boring PC stuff or risk loosing credibility even as a CCIE>

•  

I just finished building my Hybrid Dynamips lab.
    This is the way to go folks! Saves on money, saves on power ( which saves more money), and its simply badass!
    Running Debian 6.
    OpenVPN & NXClient for full remote access and fully persistent X11 sessions.

By the way. This didn't take me much time at all. No longer than it would take me to buy all physicall gear.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ybank/

My lab!

• Yeah me too - i was much bigger once (hence the username). Same here the pursuit of the CCIE has change my habbits, the chicken i eat is now fried! :)

Never tried the Twinlab stuff - it was that well known in the UK it was alway pro-lab, then Cell-tech. I admit i did go down the darker root of performance enhancement.