Identify Customer Traffic on P Routers

I have an unusal challenge.  I have been asked to identify customer traffic on a P router so I can shape the customer traffic to different values outbound from the P router over a satelite link.  It is possible there could be several customers traversing the P router and going over the satelite link.

The traffic is marked (DSCP & MPLS EXP) and policed inbound on the PE routers.   Apart from matching traffic based on MPLS EXP values on the P router is there any way (like QOS-GROUP) I can mark the customer traffic so I can influence the PHB on the P router.

I was hoping to achieve something like the following although I do not know what to match on to create class SERVICEA or class SERVICEB:

class-map match-any MPLS-NETWORK-CONTROL
  match mpls exp 6
class-map match-any MPLS-REALTIME
  match mpls exp 5
class-map match-any MPLS-CRITICAL-APPS
  match mpls exp 4
class-map match-any MPLS-VIDEO
  match mpls exp 3
class-map match-any MPLS-BULK
  match mpls exp 1
class-map match-any MPLS-BEST-EFFORT
  match mpls exp 0
!
policy-map CUSTOMER-A
 class MPLS-NETWORK-CONTROL             
  bandwidth percent 10   
 class MPLS-REALTIME
  priority percent 15
 class MPLS-CRITICAL-APPS
  bandwidth percent 5
  random-detect
 class MPLS-VIDEO
  bandwidth percent 10
 class MPLS-BULK
  bandwidth percent 5
  random-detect
 class MPLS-BEST-EFFORT
  bandwidth percent 25
  random-detect
!
policy-map CUSTOMER-B
 class MPLS-NETWORK-CONTROL             
  bandwidth percent 5       
 class MPLS-REALTIME
  priority percent 5
 class MPLS-CRITICAL-APPS
  bandwidth percent 5
  random-detect
 class MPLS-VIDEO
  bandwidth percent 5
 class MPLS-BULK
  bandwidth percent 5
  random-detect
 class MPLS-BEST-EFFORT
  bandwidth percent 5
  random-detect
!
policy-map SHAPE-SERVICES
 class SERVICEA
  shape average 512K       
  service-policy CUSTOMER-A
 class SERVICEB
  shape average 1M
  service-policy CUSTOMER-B
!
int gix/x/x/x
service-policy out SHAPE-SERVICES

Comments

• EdinburghKev,

QoS is arguably not my strongest area of knowledge, but the usual method of creating multiple FECs on the PEs may be the only way - then the P routers will have either a different label or a different EXP value to match.

The IP packet information is intentionally hidden from the P routers so they don't need to process it...

• Thank you for the quick reply Darrell.  Can you provide a brief example where you say create multiple FECs on the PEs.   I am mapping DSCP to EXP values on the PE and taking some action on these in the core.  If I could apply a different label to each set of customer traffic on the PE router that the P router could pick up that would be ideal, I could then shape this customer traffic to a set rate.

• Your traffic from different customers will be coming from different VRFs (unless you are doing CSC) - you should be able to match traffic as it comes into the PE in the VRF and set QOS-Group at that point. When the traffic is encapsulated with MPLS, the QOS-Group can be matched to determine which EXP value is set. Within the MPLS cloud the EXP value can be used to set per-hop-behavior.

(At least this is what I remember from studies before SP Written Exam in January)

• Your traffic from different customers will be coming from different VRFs (unless you are doing CSC) - you should be able to match traffic as it comes into the PE in the VRF and set QOS-Group at that point. When the traffic is encapsulated with MPLS, the QOS-Group can be matched to determine which EXP value is set. Within the MPLS cloud the EXP value can be used to set per-hop-behavior.

(At least this is what I remember from studies before SP Written Exam in January)

Thanks again Darrell.  The customer traffic is inside either a pseudowire or VPLS service.   The current customer 12 class DSCP markings are mapped to 7 MPLS classes on ingress on the PE so in the core I see a lot of matches per the 7 MPLS EXP bits and this traffic is from many customers. 

I guess I can shape all the customer traffic on the satelite link to one average but I was really hoping to shape individual customer traffic to different values, e.g

Cust 1 - shape to 512k on satelite link Gi0/0/0/0

Cust 2 - shape to 1Mb on satelite link Gi0/0/0/0

Cust 3 - shape to 128K on satelite link Gi0/0/0/0

Cust 4 - shape to 256K on satelite link Gi0/0/0/0

The other option would be as you say to give each customer a MPLS EXP value (0 to 7) and then match on that on the P router and shape using this identifier.

• I was thinking of it as a layer 3 VPN - layer 2 is getting a bit deeper than I know well. My studies have been shifting more to the Voice track lately...

• Darrell, I appreciate your help and your response.  Good luck with the Security study :-)

• Hello,

If you already do traffic admission a the edge, why do you want to shape traffic on P routers? P routers can't really look at anything else but top mpls label.