Redrawing Vol2 diagrams

When practicing Vol2 labs do you redraw the diagrams? The IGP diagram is of high quality so I don't see much need to redraw it but I expect the diagrams at the lab are not as good so maybe I should redraw it to get practice? I often do a multicast diagram and maybe BGP and physical diagrams if necessary. I haven't really seen the need for a layer 2 diagram yet but i have not done the troubleshooting scenarios yet. Do you draw/redraw diagrams and if so which ones?

Comments

• Hi Daniel,

You're right about the high quality of IGP's diagram but still I'm redrawing it for two reasons:

1. To get a big picture in my mind of the lab itself and know where is exactly each subnet/VLANs/Devices/IGPs domains etc etc

2. It'll help me to have the habit of redrawing and does it matter if the current diagram is already clear or not, I like to have the idea that it was created by me and it'll be more real to me.

I normally (if necessary) do also small diagrams per section for a better understanding of the traffic flow or the section itself. I like to keep the following diagrams: Layer 2 (physical that is provided and the logical diagram drawn by me), eBGP/iBGP domains, Multicast domains, IPv6 domains or else that need to be drawn.

• I belonged to the category of users of original diagram. No matter how hard I tried, I just could not cram that much information that neatly on a legal size paper. As for getting familiar with the topology, I would use my finger to trace every connection and spend 5 minutes verifying link local connectivity. 

This was working out great for me till they decided to deliver the lab electronically. As I do not even read a task without the topology in front of me, now I have no choice but to redraw the topology and have noticed that you probably discover issues more quickly, bridging, nbma etc when you draw it out. 

But again, probably won't draw it if I was given a printed version which I won't be. 

On Mar 21, 2011, at 6:11, rootsimba <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Daniel,

You're right about the high quality of IGP's diagram but still I'm redrawing it for two reasons:

1. To get a big picture in my mind of the lab itself and know where is exactly each subnet/VLANs/Devices/IGPs domains etc etc

2. It'll help me to have the habit of redrawing and does it matter if the current diagram is already clear or not, I like to have the idea that it was created by me and it'll be more real to me.

I normally (if necessary) do also small diagrams per section for a better understanding of the traffic flow or the section itself. I like to keep the following diagrams: Layer 2 (physical that is provided and the logical diagram drawn by me), eBGP/iBGP domains, Multicast domains, IPv6 domains or else that need to be drawn.

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Hey Daniel,

I personally dont redraw the igp diagrams, but I will do a redistribution diagram if the situation is complex enough.  Now I DO draw out a l2 diagram everytime with vlans and trunks noted, along w/stp roots and such.  BGP, I usually do not draw out unless I am having some trouble, and multicast I will draw out just because there is almost undoubtedly a RPF failure somewhere. 

-Jason

• I can agree with most persons here.

I do not redraw entire diagrams for two reasons:

1) It's a huge waste of time, because you already have a diagram provided.

2) No matter how hard I tried, I was unable to draw better (or even same quality) diagram with so many level of details.

Instead, I always make quick small diagrams when I feel that things are getting complicated. Most often I use them for L2/BGP/MCAST/IPv6. Maybe it's just the way it works for me, cause it is also my real life habit. If sth is complicated enough - make simple diagram.

It's just my personal opinion about this, it's not proven in any way.

• I didn't redraw because I think is only waste of time but I changed the topology of SW2 and SW3 because
    only the  interfaces fa1/0 of both "switches" didn't accept the command line
    "switchport".

So to get connectivity from SW2 and SW3 to BB2 and BB3 I changed from Fa1/0 to Fa1/1.