Workbook volume 1 OSPF task 6.1

Did anyone have a problem with the command: "ip ospf (process-id) area (area id)" in GNS3?  My GNS3 is not accepting the command .

Comments

• No,

This works in Dynamips as it should since it is running the real IOS. If you can't get it to work my guess is you have an ancient IOS or you are trying the command in the wrong context. What version of IOS are you running?

• 12.3(4)T4. I applied it under the interface command! I received an error::invalid input detected at marker:

• The command worked for me in dynamips but I'm running IOS image 12.4(15)T14:

Router(config)#int f0/0

Router(config-if)#ip os

Router(config-if)#ip ospf 1 ar

Router(config-if)#ip ospf 1 area ?

<0-4294967295>  OSPF area ID as a decimal value

A.B.C.D         OSPF area ID in IP address format

Router(config-if)#ip ospf 1 area 1

% OSPF will not operate on this interface until IP is configured on it.

Router(config-if)#

• Yes, I'm using dynamips/dynagen.

• Hi Daniel,

Can you please assist me installing Dynamips with ine .net file?

• beejay,

I think this feature needs 12.4 - check the feature navigator.

12.3(4)T4. I applied it under the interface command! I received an error::invalid input detected at marker:

• Do you have any interface with a IPv4 address on it? You need to have one configured for the ospf process to allocate a router-id, or the process will not start.

• Can anyone tell me why the "router-id" command is only configured under
    R3 and SW3 only and not others?................I believe we were not
    even asked to do it in the question?

• beejay,

I don't see anything in this task that would require the router-id statement. Typically a fixed router-id is required where we are using virtual-links, or on the PE routers where we are using MPLS VPNs. I have seen cases where the same high IP address was assigned to loopback addresses of multiple routers for anycast - this would require a router-id statement so you don't end up with duplicate router-ids.

Can anyone tell me why the "router-id" command is only configured under

Can anyone tell me why the "router-id" command is only configured under

• Did anyone have a problem with OSPF adjacency in GNS3?  My routers can't seem to form adjacency.  No OSPF learned routes even in the routing tables and the "show ip ospf neighbor" is empty.

• I would check the L2 between these two routers. Dynamips have history
    for having problem with its L2

Thx
    David Sudjiman
    www.davidsudjiman.info

On 3/03/2011 3:40 PM, beejay wrote:
    > Did anyone have a problem with OSPF adjacency in GNS3? My routers can't seem to form adjacency. No OSPF learned routes even in the routing tables and the "show ip ospf neighbor" is empty.
    >
    >
    > Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

> http://www.internetworkexpert.com

>

> Subscription information may be found at:

> http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Absolutely right David.

Bouncing the SW interfaces and deleting and rewriting vlans is a way that I found useful to overcome the problem specially when anything at L2 looks OK.This includes vlan interfaces.

• beejay

I was talking about the difficulty to achieve L2 connectivity,at times,with Dynamips.

I usually trouble shoot L2,L3 and then the specific of OSPF protocol.Yesterday I had an L2 problem,having checked carefully the L2 configuration and found it right I noticed that sh cdp nei

did not show the neibors that I expected.I bounced the SW interfaces,no change, then I deleted the vlans involved I exited out the vlan database I went back into it and rewritten the Vlans.

After that the sh cdp nei was OK.Before blaming Dynamips you must be absolutely sure that your L2 config,vlans,trunk,switchport etc is OK,then try what I have done.In my experience Dynamips is rarely the culprit,but in those rare cases L2 is a commom place where to find a problem.Last but not the least patience,patience and more patience [:)]

• Thanks for you response.  I actually got it working at the end of the day.  What I needed to to do was to apply "no autostate" to the vlan interfaces.  Cheers.