GNS3 error when attempting to open INE S&P topology

Hi, Win7, i7 6GB RAM. Just bought the computer becuse I got tire of crashes.

I followed same procedure I did for my former WinXP computer;tested Dynamips OK and services are started.

When I open the sample topology:

ine.service.provider.topology.1.02

i get an error:

"NIO Connection

device
pf_{....} cannot be found please choose an alternate network interface".

Please help! What do I need to do in order to fix this?

Comments

• From the error you received, it looks like you will have to edit your .net file.   

You can either "pound out" meaning place a "#" in the beginning of the line where it has the NIO entry, 

(something that looks like this: 

#E0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:DeviceNPF_{FE2F0220-AA30-4F5B-BDCF-2FFC7F06022E}

or edit the line to have your actual Network Interface Card's info in the entry.)  You can use the device tool that comes embedded int the dynamips folder.  It's the file called "Network device list.cmd"

I hope this helps.  Let me know if this works for you.

v/r,

John

• Thanks for your quick response! The problem persists though:

1. I see on the topology file that the line is already pound out. So I removed the "#", saved file and attempted to open the topology. I got same message problem.

So I attempted to run the device list.cmd batch and here is the message I got. Any ideas on what I can try next?

Network adapters on this machine:

Unable to create lock file "c7200_i0_lock
    VM default: unable to create instance!
    C7200: unable to create instance!

Use as follows:
      F0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:DeviceNPF_{...}

Press any key to continue . . .

#E0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:DeviceNPF_{4065B11C-2A6C-4FD2-8204-A12A9A8328A4}

• hmmm? this is more complicated then I thought.  I would check your folder permissions   ( right click /properties/ security tab) of the folder where your GNS-3 or Dynamips program files are under.  Make sure your user account that your executing the program from has at least read, write and execute permissions.  (or full control).  

Other than that I'm not sure what else to try.   If that doesn't work can you can you copy paste the text of your topo file (.net)  and then copy paste the text of the exact error when trying to open the .net?

v/r,

John

• Maybe there is a problem with your working dir. Try deleting the files in the working dir and then starting Dynagen again. Doesn't seem as Dynagen can overwrite the files already there. My recommendation for you is to run Ubuntu, it is so much better in every way and not that difficult to setup. You can even run it together with Windows without risking your boot sector, it is called WUBI.

• Do you know what, I  will follow your suggestion and I am downloading WUBI. You are not the first to tell me GNS3 runs best on Ubuntu. Although I do not have time to be playing with Linux now.... but who knows if it is easy as long as this darn GNS3 runs I am happy. 

I am wondering whether this is a bug (or "feature") on the new GNS3 release v.0.7.3? I recalled I ran same topology before on my Windows XP machine and I never had this problem. Now I ran GNS 0.7.3 on my WinXP and Win7 and both present the same problem with this "NIO connect network adapters".

Regarding the suggestion on "Working directory", I see my working directory is pointing to "c:ipexpert mp" but I have no files there.

If I run the networkdevicelist.cmd batch file I see the problem below. Any clue on how to fix this?

Network adapters on this machine:

Unable to create lock file "c7200_i0_lock".
    VM default: unable to create instance!
    C7200: unable to create instance!

Use as follows:
      F0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:DeviceNPF_{...}

Press any key to continue . . .