4.7- OSPF Loopback Advertisement

This is more an inquiry than a technical question.  Advertise R5 loop0 into OSPF, do not use network command under routing process.

I used

int loop0

ip ospf 1 area 0

the SG used

route-map CONN->OSPF permit 10

match int loop0

router ospf 1

redist conn route-map CONN->OSPF subnets

Which one would/did you use? There was nothing really in the rest of this lab that would deem one correct/wrong that I could see, other than it did not say to advertise into area "x"...but it didnt say not to either.  Thanks for any guidance.

Comments

• Great example of the actual Cisco exam grading your approach and the SG approach correctly.

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of jason_lunde
    Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 9:26 AM
    To: Anthony Sequeira
    Subject: [IEWB-RS-VOL3-V4-LAB7] 4.7- OSPF Loopback Advertisement

This is more an inquiry than a technical question.  Advertise R5 loop0 into OSPF, do not use network command under routing process.

I used

int loop0

ip ospf 1 area 0

the SG used

match int loop0

router ospf 1

Which one would/did you use? There was nothing really in the rest of this lab that would deem one correct/wrong that I could see, other than it did not say to advertise into area "x"...but it didnt say not to either.  Thanks for any guidance.

"Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
    "

• jason_lunde,

This task may have been written before IOS permitted the interface command - with the IOS expected to be in use in the actual Lab Exam a task that requires redistribution using a route-map to advertise Lo0 should be more specific. As the task is worded the interface command is equally correct.

"Do not use the network command under the routing process or any command under the loopback interface for this task." This would point more directly to redistribution...

I used

int loop0

ip ospf 1 area 0

the SG used

match int loop0

router ospf 1

• I think both commands are acceptable "IF" the requirements has no clause as to what LSA type....because the loopback will show up as an area route- lsa type3  if you use the interface command, while the redistribution will make it and external route ..a type 5 lsa.....

• Thank you all for your replies.  They, as always, help greatly in my studies. I was kind of thinking the same thing DarrellEscola, that this was probably written before the ospf interface config was allowed. 

• Yes, i was using the interface level command "ip ospf 1 area xx" as well. Either solution are correct is LSA type is not specifically asked.

I think if in the real lab, the requirement will be more specific.

Anyway, it is always good for CCIE candidates to kown as many alternatives as we can for a given problem or requirement.

Cheers.

• I agree, I used the same method with the interface command.....

no violation!

• Yes, based on my exp, the exam has a clear restriction for this kind of task.

• This is more an inquiry than a technical question.  Advertise R5 loop0 into OSPF, do not use network command under routing process.

I used

int loop0

ip ospf 1 area 0

I also used the simplest way which is ip ospf 1 area 0 under interface.

• I also used the simplest way which is ip ospf 1 area 0 under interface.

But this command is not available on switches:)

• IMHO, on the lab always follow the instructions, they will tell you whether or not you can use the ip ospf or the network command to enable ospf on the interface.

Just my 2 cents.

• In the lab I would follow what they ask. They may very well ask you to not use the network command or to not use the ip ospf command, so follow the instructions and you will be on the safe side.

Just my 2 cents

• I also used the simplest way which is ip ospf 1 area 0 under interface.

But this command is not available on switches:)

Specific to the task we are asked to perform this task on Router 5 not switch.

• I agree that this task and SG may well of been written this current version of the Lab. And like you all have pointed out, completing the task by putting the config on the loopback interface is not breaking any of the lab requirements.