Task 7.2 - NTP

Hello,

Do I need actually to be geography expert or at least pro to become CCIE? :-)

I can configure router to be in CST if somebody gives me the offset from GMT (like in this task), but how should I know what is the offset of dailight savings, if any?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time says, that "Typically clocks are adjusted forward one hour near the start of spring and are adjusted backward in autumn". Typically? ;)

Is this article available on doc-cd? :-)

Just joking, no offence ;-)

Comments

• jdr,

Typically = most of the time, but not always.

The State of Arizona does not participate in Daylight Savings Time, but is always GMT -7. During the Winter Arizona is an hour ahead of us in California, but the same time during the Summer.

Since CCIE R&S is about the technical aspects of Routing and Switching, I don't think knowledge of a certain country's clock-setting traditions is essential. Given the offset from GMT/UTC, the ability to set the router/switch clock to the proper time should be sufficient. We even had to apply patches to Windows computers a few years ago to adjust to recent changes in WHEN Daylight Savings Time starts and ends...

• I think one should feel notlucky if they get too hairy with timezones etc.....

2 important things I considder to have learnt after this task...that UTC.... same as GMT and that time will be advertised by NTP in UTC....

The summertime/timezone are only applicable to the local clock.....

and it's good to know that when NTP configured...the Timestamp of the "Sh run" /sh ver are displayed when configs saved!!!....

I've wondered about this last week and wasn't sure why my devices didn't displayed it after I've seen this earlier...well now I know!

Sometimes, these obscure type of tasks teach you alot!

kr

Josua

[8-|]