Real Life QoS Challenge

Hi,

I have close to 50 clients I need to set up QoS for them, each with starkly differing QoS needs. My client has a huge MPLS (global) network running some MPLS VPNs, L2 VPNs etc. Some clients need say 256k for all traffic and some want the aggregate bandwidth say 512 to be micro-managed between different services say VoIP, Video and other traffic. Since I can apply only one service policy in a specific direction on a router, how do I configure classes for each customer and say for customer 1, there are 3 classes and class 1 is a priority class which uses 30% of the 256k and class two and 3 share the remainder? How do I group many classes for different customers into one policy-map?

Comments

• Although I am still to test, can I reference separate policies in one aggregate policy-map? Has anyone tried this before?

• I have tried that out already but it does not work since you can use only one instance of the service policy map command within another policy map which I choose to call the aggregate policy-map

• Why do you want to have all those customer policies combined in a shared QoS policy? That would make it unmanageable because if you need to remove and apply the policy again because you're changing stuff, other traffic would go without policy at that time. Also sounds unreadable.

If you're running MPLS VPNs, can't you give those a customer specific policy within the VRF on the PE and CE? And for QoS on the MPLS cloud side (PE - P) and (P - P) you could do with a generic policy mapping your set DSCP values to EXP classes. If you have enough bandwidth on your internal network links that should do fine IMHO.

• You are correct. I decided to follow that same line of thought. That is what I am implementing now. Thanks

On 19 January 2011 13:46, rbevaart <[email protected]> wrote:

Why do you want to have all those customer policies combined in a shared QoS policy? That would make it unmanageable because if you need to remove and apply the policy again because you're changing stuff, other traffic would go without policy at that time. Also sounds unreadable.

If you're running MPLS VPNs, can't you give those a customer specific policy within the VRF on the PE and CE? And for QoS on the MPLS cloud side (PE - P) and (P - P) you could do with a generic policy mapping your set DSCP values to EXP classes. If you have enough bandwidth on your internal network links that should do fine IMHO.

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx