Please help me with running labs in GNS3

Hello all.  I have downloaded the Dynamips labs and am trying to run them in GNS3.  However when i load the Internetwork Expert Topologies it says "lost connection and the service i'm trying to connect to is not provided on that port 127.0.0.1" after it tries to power on the 11th device in the topology.  I tried powering them up in a different order to see if it was a particular device but that didn't matter.  No matter what router i power on, whichever one powers on after the 10th it always gives me that message. 

My pc is a Quad Core I7 HP with 8GB RAM and 160GB Hard disk.  I am running Windows 7 64-bit.  I am certain its not a hardware issue because I have tried it as well on two other very power machines and it does the same exact thing.   Those were running Windows 2003 and Windows XP.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions on how I can fix this.  I am running out of money and can't keep paying for rack rental time so I really need to be able to do some practice time in GNS3.   I do not know how to use Linux so I can't run it in Ubuntu so it must be Windows for me.  Thank you.

Comments

• Try running more hypervisors. Use at least two, four would be a good number to distribute the load. It's a Windows problem, your hardware is way over what is required. Ubuntu isn't really that hard but more hypervisors should solve your problem.

• i would put aside running GNS3, and try just Dynamips and Dynagen.  It's less user friendly at first,  but once you get up and running its very efficient. 

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 16, 2011, at 8:44 AM, wil.amaya <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello all.  I have downloaded the Dynamips labs and am trying to run them in GNS3.  However when i load the Internetwork Expert Topologies it says "lost connection and the service i'm trying to connect to is not provided on that port 127.0.0.1" after it tries to power on the 11th device in the topology.  I tried powering them up in a different order to see if it was a particular device but that didn't matter.  No matter what router i power on, whichever one powers on after the 10th it always gives me that message. 

My pc is a Quad Core I7 HP with 8GB RAM and 160GB Hard disk.  I am running Windows 7 64-bit.  I am certain its not a hardware issue because I have tried it as well on two other very power machines and it does the same exact thing.   Those were running Windows 2003 and Windows XP.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions on how I can fix this.  I am running out of money and can't keep paying for rack rental time so I really need to be able to do some practice time in GNS3.   I do not know how to use Linux so I can't run it in Ubuntu so it must be Windows for me.  Thank you.

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • thank you for the suggestion. Can i run more than 1 hypervisor on a single pc ?or are you suggesting throwing a second PC into the mix and running GNS3 on that as well?  Thanks.

Wil

• i'm suggesting one PC, running multiple instances of Dynamips, and one Dynagen console to manage those instances.   There would be no GUI environment at all and GNS3 is not used.  It's a CLI only solution.  That is what I use to run the full blown INE R&S CCIE topology.  

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 16, 2011, at 1:03 PM, wil.amaya <[email protected]> wrote:

thank you for the suggestion. Can i run more than 1 hypervisor on a single pc ?or are you suggesting throwing a second PC into the mix and running GNS3 on that as well?  Thanks.

Wil

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx