Which laptop/hardware do I need to run INE R&S Dynamips proposed topology?

Hi, I know how to run Dynamips, start router by router and carefully picking Idle PC one by one watching CPU utilization on Task Manager - OK.

Now I attempt to load the INE proposed R&S topology and after starting the R6 router, it can't go through and Dynamips end up crashing with one error message or the other.

"Error:timed out communicating with dynamips server localhost"

From reading the statement  in red below from Brian McGahan, is it a known issue to load all this topology on Windows? How about if I buy a Mac AirBook? For those successfully running this, please tell me what type of Mac or Windows machine I need to run this thing. If I have to buy a Mac, I will but please let me know minimum hardware requirements.

My Windows laptop is Win7, 2GB RAM and dual core CPU2.40Ghz. I increased page file size but that did not help.

"...

These files were written with MacOS in mind, but can be easily modified to run on Windows and/or Linux.  From my personal experience it is very unlikely that you will get the entire topology to boot on Windows without a massive amount of hardware to back it up..."

Comments

• I'm able to run it on windows with no problem.  I realize it's been awhile so , if you're still having the issue, let me know.  I may have some suggestions for you.

v/r,

John

• The Idle PC value is specific to the IOS image being used.  You do not have to go "router by router".   Configure an Idle PC value for each image you're using.   If only one, then only one Idle PC value. fyi.

v/r,

John

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Marlon <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi, I know how to run Dynamips, start router by router and carefully picking Idle PC one by one watching CPU utilization on Task Manager - OK.

Now I attempt to load the INE proposed R&S topology and after starting the R6 router, it can't go through and Dynamips end up crashing with one error message or the other.

"Error:timed out communicating with dynamips server localhost"

From reading the statement  in red below from Brian McGahan, is it a known issue to load all this topology on Windows? How about if I buy a Mac AirBook? For those successfully running this, please tell me what type of Mac or Windows machine I need to run this thing. If I have to buy a Mac, I will but please let me know minimum hardware requirements.

My Windows laptop is Win7, 2GB RAM and dual core CPU2.40Ghz. I increased page file size but that did not help.

"...

These files were written with MacOS in mind, but can be easily modified to run on Windows and/or Linux.  From my personal experience it is very unlikely that you will get the entire topology to boot on Windows without a massive amount of hardware to back it up..."

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Yes. I have issues. It is not running this specific topology and the problem is very consistent.

The fact that I set the Idle PC individually does not hurt though.

• what "specific" problems are you encountering?

were you able to load the entire topology? if not, try to decrease the allocated ram on each router to 96mb - 128mb.

do you have cloud interfaces on the .net file? if so, carefully check the network list via gns3 if the ethernet network list is correct on your pc and on the .net file.

or check the dynamips hypervisor if you have problems connecting to dynamips server. Just bind the hypervisor manager to your pc (localhost).

if you still have problems, just let me know.

regards,

cbox

• Marlon,

I posted a detailed solution yesterday for you to try if you really want to get Dynamips working on well on Windows. (includes my .net file, and .cmd modifications)  I guess since it was very long it's requiring moderator approval.  Hopefully they post it soon. 

v/r,

John

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Marlon <[email protected]> wrote:

Yes. I have issues. It is not running this specific topology and the problem is very consistent.

The fact that I set the Idle PC individually does not hurt though.

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx