Task 7.7 Broadcast Forwarding ( DHCP Relay)

Should we not use the interface configuration command rather than the global configuration.

Rack1R3(config-if)#ip dhcp relay information option-insert

Cisco says that if support for the relay agent information option is configured in global configuration mode, but not in interface configuration mode, the interface inherits the global configuration but interface command takes precedence over any global relay agent information configuration.

Any thoughts ??

Cheers !!

Comments

• I also did interface-level configuration, but I belive that both solutions will work here.

• Should we not use the interface configuration command rather than the global configuration.

Rack1R3(config-if)#ip dhcp relay information option-insert

Cisco says that if support for the relay agent information option is configured in global configuration mode, but not in interface configuration mode, the interface inherits the global configuration but interface command takes precedence over any global relay agent information configuration

Both the configuration either globally or at interface level are valid, infact for this task interface level dhcp information relay is more appropriate because there are no other interfaces requires to append the relay information option.

• I binded the DHCP realay with the previously configured vrrp on these interfaces:

vrrp 26 description VLAN_26

ip helper-address 130.1.3.100 redundancy VLAN_26

Is this right/wrong thing to do, and would I have lost any points if I did it on the real lab ?

• Sett,

Your solution is correct and more complete than the SG.  Without the redundancy option, both R2 and R6 will forward the DHCP relay at the same time, and the DHCP server will receive 2 requests from the same client.  With redundancy option, only the active router forwards the request, which is what we want.

Here is a good article on this topic:

http://pmoorey.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/ip-helper-redundancy/