AIM-CUE ,formatted 1GB CF, reiserfs partition question.

Hi There,

I am studying for the IIUC exam and I think I've done something stupid :) . I removed the 1GB CF from the AIM-CUE module, Inserted it into my 2801 CF slot and did a "format flash:". After some research I found out that the AIM-CUE CF needs to have specific reiserfs filesystem and partitions. I can load the CUE installer image using the boot helper, however it seems to be stuck in a loop when trying to boot.

I managed to reformat the CF as a reiserfs and set the partition as 0x83 (linux) partition using ubuntu and a CF reader. However I just have it as a single 1GB partition. I read somewhere there needs to be 2 partitions, but I couldnt find out what size or type they had to be. Im guessing the 2nd partition needs to be reiserfs 0x82 (linux swap) ?

If someone could please let me know how I need to format the CF that would be greatly appriciated!:), I've pulled my hair out for the last 8 hours trying to figure it out (i've learnt a hell of a lot so i guess its not time wasted).

Here is the bootloader output of the loop it seems to be stuck in.

Initializing memory.  Please wait.
256 MB SDRAM detected
BIOS Version: Cisco SE-AIM 01.02
BIOS Build date: 08/14/03
System Now Booting ...[BOOT-ASM]
Please enter '***' to change boot configuration: 

Filesystem type is reiserfs,partition type 0x83
kf: a1 : (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
kf: a2 : (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
in grub_open: (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
in grub_open1: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
in grub_open2: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
in grub_open3: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim 1
in grub_open4: /bzImage root=/dev/hda1 ro plat=aim
 kernel_func: kt: 0
in boot func: kt: 0ÿ   <------------------- when it gets to gere it goes back to the "Initializing memory.  Please wait." and just keeps looping.

Thanks in advance for helping :) offering a $20USD paypal reward !! :)

Comments

• Oh no!
    Well, do you happen to know anyone that has a AIM-CUE that could pull their CF card and read the FS structure?
    I don't have one in front of me (the racks I work on are about 2k miles away), however I did ask our Linux guru if he minded, but I know he is normally swamped - so I am not counting on it happening today for sure. He might have the time next week - in the meantime, just try adding a swap partition and making it, say maybe 100MB?

-Mark

On Oct 8, 2010, at 6:00 AM, Jeremyp81 wrote:

Hi There,

I am studying for the IIUC exam and I think I've done something stupid :) . I removed the 1GB CF from the AIM-CUE module, Inserted it into my 2801 CF slot and did a "format flash:". After some research I found out that the AIM-CUE CF needs to have specific reiserfs filesystem and partitions. I can load the CUE installer image using the boot helper, however it seems to be stuck in a loop when trying to boot.

I managed to reformat the CF as a reiserfs and set the partition as 0x83 (linux) partition using ubuntu and a CF reader. However I just have it as a single 1GB partition. I read somewhere there needs to be 2 partitions, but I couldnt find out what size or type they had to be. Im guessing the 2nd partition needs to be reiserfs 0x82 (linux swap) ?

If someone could please let me know how I need to format the CF that would be greatly appriciated!:), I've pulled my hair out for the last 8 hours trying to figure it out (i've learnt a hell of a lot so i guess its not time wasted).

256 MB SDRAM detected

in boot func: kt: 0ÿ   <------------------- when it gets to gere it goes back to the "Initializing memory.  Please wait." and just keeps looping.

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Found your answer!

2 parts, both type 83, first part starts at 1 ends at 5, second part starts at 6 ends at 993. 

Hope it works for ya!

Mark

On Oct 8, 2010, at 6:00, Jeremyp81 <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi There,

256 MB SDRAM detected

• Thankyou very much mark :) I will give it I try. I dread that my CF has now gone faulty because I am getting this error which I wasnt getting before.

"Not a cisco supported CF. Please use cisco supported CF and reinstall the software. System Halted"

I will let you know how I go. Thanks again.

UPDATE: I couldnt get it to work, however I think it may be the way I created the partitions. I am using the Ubuntu GUI to do the formatting, IT wont let me format the first 5MB partition as reiserFS, but I can set it to 0x83. The partition from 6MB - 993 MB can be formatted as resierFS. Mabye there is some more advanced CLI commands I need to know, I am pretty new to linux so i dont know too much about the CLI.

Mark, do you think your linux guru may be able to see where im going wrong ? ( No rush, just if you get a chance :) )

I am going to get a new CF for the aim (i'm glad work is paying), so now I'm really just trying to fix this for fun:)  Also might try formatting some third party CF's the same way to see If I can get them to work. Any body know of any non-cisco CF's that work with AIM-CUE ?

• What happened with this?

One more thing you can do that will definitely work (before you scrap the CF card), is to find someone with a working 1GB AIM-CUE CF card and do a Linux "dd" from the working one (to create the image), and then blast that onto the non-working CF card. Let me know if you need the cli cmd/args. 

Cheers,
    Mark

On Oct 8, 2010, at 17:18, Jeremyp81 <[email protected]> wrote:

Thankyou very much mark :) I will give it I try. I dread that my CF has now gone faulty because I am getting this error which I wasnt getting before.

"Not a cisco supported CF. Please use cisco supported CF and reinstall the software. System Halted"

I will let you know how I go. Thanks again.

• Good idea, My Dad's company is running an Aim-cue, Im setting up a new sip trunk for him this weekend so I might see If I can do it then. The dealer I bought it off is going to replace the entire aim-cue so i am relieved about that.

Someone over at cisco supoort forums suggested that the boot helper should automatically do the partitioning, not too sure if that is correct or not?

I did try with CUE version 7, it uploaded the installer file, however I got the error message " MD5 hash does not match" (or something similar to that), so im pretty sure the flash may have been faulty all along.

If you could let me know the linux CLI commands to make the image and to flash it to the card that would be great :)  Thanks again for all your help.

• Sure, np.

The "if" is the Input File and the "of" is, well, you guessed it, the Output File.

1) First attach the good AIM-CUE CF card to the card reader in the Linux box, and create the image onto the local Linux filesystem:

dd if=/dev/sdc of=/image bs=32768

(this is assuming the CF card comes in looking like the third SCSI disk)

You shouldn't be able to harm too much here (assuming you DO NOT MIXUP IF and OF files), except say maybe to create a really big file if for some reason you pulled from another live SCSI disk that was maybe 500GBs instead of 1GB ;-) )

2) Next attach the bad AIM-CUE CF card to the card reader in the Linux box, and overwrite the CF card (partitions, partition tables and all) from local Linux filesystem image you just created:

Then dd if=/image of=/dev/sdc bs=32768

Now this command on the other hand - BE VERY CAREFUL that you choose the exact right OF! An accidental mistype of the /dev/sdX, and you could toast your Linux hard drive. You have been warned, We accept no legal liability or responsibility, This should not be considered an advisement from INE, yadda yadda yadda and all that legal crap that just simply means "Be Careful" :D !

Anyway - all should be well. You may want to try mounting the CF card first just to see what it shows up as, but assuming that you have a modern Linux distro with a GUI, then you should see the CF Card Auto-Mount and you should be able to very quickly verify its /dev/sdX device name.

Cheers,

Mark

• BTW, Fedora 10 supports the ResierFS (used by AIM-CUE), so you might want to download and install it to make life easier so that you can auto-mount it, just to be sure which device it shows up as.

If you have Fedora 10 and lets say only 1 SATA disk, then it will probably show up as /dev/sdb (SDB - SCSI Disk B).

Anyway, hope that helps!

• Thanks mark. I have Ubuntu 10 installed, will that do the job ? I will be careful with those commands as you said :) the Replacement CF will be here next week so ill make an image of it , but hopefully I wont have to use it again :) Big lesson learnt !! Thanks again.