IP SLA

Ok....I'm working on IP SLA configuration. The author of the SWITCH Official Certification Guide (OCG) did a really good job on the book, but left out IP SLA. However, he does have an update for it on his website that included a good explanation of IP SLA. Here's the catch...the SWITCH Foundation Learning Guide (FLG) includes IP SLA, but the commands are ever so slightly different!! If there's one thing that really bugs me, especially right before an exam, it's consistent documentation.

So I did a little digging...and here's what I got. for IOS 12.2, this is how you would setup an ICMP monitor test:

switch(config)#ip sla monitor 11

switch(config-ip-sla)#icmp-echo 10.1.1.1 source-int fa0/0

switch(config-ip-sla)#frequency 10

switch(config-ip-sla)#exit

switch(config)#ip sla schedule 11 life forever start-time now

And for IOS 12.4:

switch(config-sla)#type echo protocol IpIcmpEcho 10.1.1.1 source-int fa0/1

switch(config-sla)#frequency 10

switch(config-sla)#exit

switch(config)#ip sla monitor schedule 11 life forever start-time now

So I guess my question is...since both guides are preparing me for the SWITCH exam, does anyone have any insight as to which the exam will ask for? I know the old "you should be ready for both" bit, but I'd like to know from someone who's taken the exam which one they saw. Or did they see both, I'm sure they saw at least one of them.  I don't want the exam question; just which version of IP SLA did they see.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the slight rant...

Jalon

Comments

• does the CCNP cover a specific switch type or IOS? not sure that is does not from the Cisco learning website that i can see, but i usually use the 3560 switch configuration guides, because that is the current switch in the ccie lab exam, and the 6500 is usually way to over the top in its guides for what i am usually looking for...

they only list 12.2 as the IOS code they run, where did the 12.4 IOS come from, that is router code right?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swipsla.html#wp1089253

and not to get off track but ip sla commands used to be rtr and rtr responder, so be on the lookout for that if you need to run some older IOS versions with the new ip sla, something along those lines...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/technologies/tk648/tk362/technologies_white_paper0900aecd8022c2cc.html

later
    garry

--
    Garry L. Baker

"There is no 'patch' for stupidity." - www.sqlsecurity.com

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM, jalonjackson <[email protected]> wrote:

Ok....I'm working on IP SLA configuration. The author of the SWITCH Official Certification Guide (OCG) did a really good job on the book, but left out IP SLA. However, he does have an update for it on his website that included a good explanation of IP SLA. Here's the catch...the SWITCH Foundation Learning Guide (FLG) includes IP SLA, but the commands are ever so slightly different!! If there's one thing that really bugs me, especially right before an exam, it's consistent documentation.

So I did a little digging...and here's what I got. for IOS 12.2, this is how you would setup an ICMP monitor test:

switch(config-ip-sla)#icmp-echo 10.1.1.1 source-int fa0/0

switch(config-ip-sla)#frequency 10

switch(config-ip-sla)#exit

switch(config)#ip sla schedule 11 life forever start-time now

And for IOS 12.4:

switch(config-sla)#type echo protocol IpIcmpEcho 10.1.1.1 source-int fa0/1

switch(config-sla)#frequency 10

switch(config-sla)#exit

switch(config)#ip sla monitor schedule 11 life forever start-time now

So I guess my question is...since both guides are preparing me for the SWITCH exam, does anyone have any insight as to which the exam will ask for? I know the old "you should be ready for both" bit, but I'd like to know from someone who's taken the exam which one they saw. Or did they see both, I'm sure they saw at least one of them.  I don't want the exam question; just which version of IP SLA did they see.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the slight rant...

Jalon

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

• Given how relatively new the exams are, I'd say 2960s or 70's and 3560s, but I don't know, until someone who has take the test responds.  As for 12.4 being a router IOS, you might be to something there.  The latest 3560, 3750, and 2960 release docs I could find on CiscoCD was 12.2(55), so I guess I can lean that direction.

The difference between the two are really small, it's just annoying to have in Official and Foundation Guides.  INE CoD hasn't caught up with everything either, I think the CoD might have been built off the OCG.  Still really helpful videos though, gave me a good foundation so far.  As mentioned in other threads, maybe adding a few "update" videos to the CoD that covers the missed material would be helpful too.

My 2 cents...

Jalon