SWITCH Exam scheduled...

So...I scheduled my exam for 10/7, feeling pretty good about it.  As I was only able to get my hands on 4 2950 switches and a router, I wasn't able to perform everything.  However, something that worked for me in the past with BSCI and BGP exams is that a sample configuration for everything, such as configuring VTP, configuring Etherchannel (each method), etc. is written out by hand in a book, and then bring up notepad and constantly type in the command patterns.  I have approximately 14 pages of commands, each with all the options.  I type them out 10 times, go on to the next subject, type that 10 times, etc.  When I get to the end, I start over again.  So I've started that.  Got a good grasp on all the theory and technologies.

Does anyone have any specific advice for the SWITCH exam?  Not looking for specific questions, just general what it's like, the last professional level exam I took was about 5 years ago.  Are there a lot of sims, just a couple of sims, is the sim interface easy or hard to use, is the exam stable (I hate crashes in the middle), etc.

Thanks in advance.  NO questions off the exam, please.  I hate brain dumps!!

Jalon

Comments

• How exciting! Great idea on practicing the commands – I did the
    same thing.

I think the first thing you should do is review the various
    question types – including the sims – that they can throw at you. Here is a
    link from Cisco on this:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_certification_exam_tutorial.html

[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of jalonjackson

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 10:34 AM

To: Anthony Sequeira

Subject: [ccnp] SWITCH Exam scheduled...

So...I scheduled my exam for 10/7, feeling pretty good about it.  As I
    was only able to get my hands on 4 2950 switches and a router, I wasn't able to
    perform everything.  However, something that worked for me in the past
    with BSCI and BGP exams is that a sample configuration for everything, such as
    configuring VTP, configuring Etherchannel (each method), etc. is written out by
    hand in a book, and then bring up notepad and constantly type in the command
    patterns.  I have approximately 14 pages of commands, each with all the
    options.  I type them out 10 times, go on to the next subject, type that
    10 times, etc.  When I get to the end, I start over again.  So I've
    started that.  Got a good grasp on all the theory and technologies.

Does anyone have any specific advice for the SWITCH exam?  Not looking
    for specific questions, just general what it's like, the last professional
    level exam I took was about 5 years ago.  Are there a lot of sims, just a
    couple of sims, is the sim interface easy or hard to use, is the exam stable (I
    hate crashes in the middle), etc.

Thanks in advance.  NO questions off the exam, please.  I hate
    brain dumps!!

Jalon

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

• Make sure you're ready for the new planning/implementation questions.

Here's some examples from David Hucaby:

http://dhucaby.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/ccnp-switch-planning-topics/

• Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on Dave's site.  He had some good updates for his latest OCG for Syslog, IP SLA, SNMP, and had a couple of little scenario bits.  He hasn't posted much up there lately.

One thing that I bet alot of people miss are also the ciscopress sites for individual books...they have the errata, or change sheets, that correct inaccurate information in ciscopress books.  They don't always catch it all, but every little bit helps.

Jalon

• Hey, How did your exam go? i am planning to schedule first week of nov..any suggestions you can offer me?

• I got a 786 out of 790.  I was steamed about it (see Not Happy...Switch Exam post) and had a few comments about the test.  It's buggy...but didn't crash on me.  However, vague questions and answers, you really need to pay attention to what you read.  I had 2-3 sims (know your configure and verify commands), know your implementation and verification planning topics, and know your theory.  I've been studying up on things I messed up, I think I'll get it next time.