Allowed to take/pass/get credit for CCNP Switch exam without CCNA?

Hi All,

I'm wondering if you have to pass the CCNA before you can take the CCNP Switch Exam?  (or any other CCNP Exam)

It doesn't seem like the test administrator - in my case "PearsonVue" - prevents you from trying... I don't want to get into the reasons I need to do this but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has recently passed and received credit for one of the CCNP (Switch or Route or Tshoot) exams without having a valid CCNA cert...

Thanks,

Sam

Comments

• Sam,

There is no prerequisite for the CCNP exams - you will need to attain CCNA certification and pass the CCNP exams to attain CCNP certification.

In other words you can take and pass all of the CCNP exams first - you will still need to take and pass the CCNA exam(s) before a CCNP certificate will be awarded to you. (Or you can pass the CCIE Written and Lab Exams to satisfy CCNA - that would be much harder than taking the CCNA exams.)

Also - be aware that there are time restrictions that apply from the date a test is passed - Passing the 642 series will re-certify your CCNA certification, but all exams for CCNP plus CCNA will need to be completed before the oldest exam date expires if CCNA is completed last.

Hi All,

I'm wondering if you have to pass the CCNA before you can take the CCNP Switch Exam?  (or any other CCNP Exam)

It doesn't seem like the test administrator - in my case "PearsonVue" - prevents you from trying... I don't want to get into the reasons I need to do this but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has recently passed and received credit for one of the CCNP (Switch or Route or Tshoot) exams without having a valid CCNA cert...

Thanks,

Sam