File sharers crippling the training industry

there is one big file sharer out there that may be destroying our industry as we know it. my question to you is what can we do to stop this? can these people be prosecuted and taken to court? i know that INE probably knows exactly who I am talking about, but my question to them is why haven't they tried to go after them yet? Anybody have any opininons on this?

Comments

• bowlersp, have you ever downloaded a movie, mp3 file or ebook in pdf format from the internet?  If your answer is no I am very impressed!! 

To say there is one big file sharer out there that may be destroying the industry is wrong.  There are hundreds of big file share sites out there not counting the Russian and Chinese sites that feed other sites, you may have just found the one that comes up in Google searches.  File share sites go hand in hand with the training industry.  It has done since I started studying back in 1996.  

Interested to hear others views :-)   

•  

I believe the application of law here is a lot more complicated then it's thought, and yes the copyrights is a wicked issue for many industries not just the training industry. I am no law expert but copyright legislations and laws not only protect the publishers/owners but offenders have found equally strong flaws in the system to bypass those specific legislations to protect themselves. 

I am sure it's definitely not a topic ignored by agencies and governments but lawful implementation is perhaps now as simple as it seems, at least not in UK.

• I'm kinda surprised how loyal you are to INE. Certainly you love them more than the amount of love they have for themselves by themselves.

Considering this unmatched kind of support, I think Brian should run for the upcomming presidency campain.

• @bowlersp

If you can provide me links to [email protected] , I will forward them on to our guy that handles this.

Thanks.

•  

Anthony

I spent a lot of money legally purchasing the material and wasn't happy to see that all that was freely available for mass stealing on the first few google hits. So if you get your guy to google it it shouldn't take him long to find out what bowlersp has reported above [:P]

• This bothers me too.  I've spent a lot of money on my INE materials.  But an even bigger issue is the real labs are out there freely available on the Internet now.  I haven't pursued them because that type of thing is not for me, but reading message board you can tell that all these people have them, and you can also tell these people have very limited networking skills.  Here I've spent over a year and a half preparing for this test the right way, have failed it 4 times already, and some guy is going to just memorize the current tests and go in and pass it.  It cheapens the value of a certification that means so much to me and I've worked so hard to obtain.

This is on Cisco.  They need to keep the integrity of the CCIE by re instituting the Core Knowledge, constantly modify the Troubleshooting, and cycle in a new Config every 2 months at least.  For $1400 a pop I think they can certainly afford the man-power to do this.

• SpongeWorthy,

I agreeed with you except the Core KnowledgeOEQ part.  Cisco needs to leave that part out.  That's my 2 cents.

• I do think there should be some sort of OEQ.  How it should be delievered is up for debate.  Maybe have 10 questions, you get to pick 8 to answer, and you have to get at lest 6 right to pass it.  Just an idea.  The point is there is a huge need for it to thwart these people who just memorize labs.

• SpongeWorthy,

I can see how that can be fairr verses only 4/5 fill-in-a-blank questions.  It just that it's so wrong to fail the entire exam because you got two questions wrong in the first 30 minutes of the exam.  If we have to have Core Knowledge back on the exam, then I would much perfer it to be a multiple choices with a lot of answers to choose from. 

• yeah and they will still memorise those OEQ so your fighting a losing battle.

• Not if there's a test bank of about 1000 questions.  And if they do memorize 1000 question then good for them, they earned it.

• Although most of you have spoken enough about these things, here is my little view:

1. Piracy Issue - I can certainly say that all INE R&S material you can found on web very easily , just need to google it. BUT

As far I think, those guys are just stuff collectors and never actually going for CCIE exam. Those people just keep downloading stuff all the times but rarely actually uses it upto it's full potential. I know many of those guys but trust me...none of them can even pass CCNP exams even with the pirated stuff...because they just keep downloading every CCIE Stuff from every vendor...but never used it..

Now if we are talking about people who actually are going for CCIE in terms of serious studies....trust me...atleast 50 % of them will prefer to buy original stuff rather then downloading pirated stuff....or may be they will keep both varieties to be on safer side.

Another reason of buying original stuff could be getting timely product updates and direct support from instructors. which still is very important if some one is preparing for CCIE seriously.

Personally I have seen entire INE stuff in chunks many times of web but still I purchased it because I know its value and for other reasons. Also sent those links to INE support team once or twice to help them.

BUT

On the darker side, have you ever think if you were born in third world country like ghana or something, will it be right for you to keep yourself away from CCIE just because currency of such countries is very week, where people earns 100 USD as a monthly salary and can't afford to buy INE stuff or even go for CCIE exam fee of 1400 USD multiple times to fail it.

Dude its easy for you to spend 30-40 % of your monthly salary on each ccie attempt living in US, but as An Indian for me 1400 USD is something you can't earn even after passing CCIE as your first month salary as fresher.

So would I even think to go for ccie exam again even if I failed twice ?...No way.. I'll probably quit because of such currency differences.

2. CCIE Dumps - I don't think any one going for ccie have never heard about those...That will sound too silly in my opinion.

But

As far I think about this, Even if someone passes lab with dumps...He won't be even able to handle CCIE job profile.

I am not a CCIE...but I have taken interviews of candidates at some point which were CCIEs, but even as a good CCNP myself  I knocked them out in few mins.

Actually you can find if someone passed using dumps Vs real preparation in first 10 mins of interview. 

In last...it's not CCIE certificate which makes you real CCIE...it's the journey and preparation for that which makes you real CCIE

HTH...

Deepak Arora

http://deepakarora1984.blogspot.com/

• Hi Deepak

I very much agree with your thoughts.

M

• I dont feel the Cisco LAB price of $1400 is now justified. The CCIE (any track) is not worth as much in the real world as it used to be.

• Why do you say it’s not worth as much?

Jay...

[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of abx

Sent: 04 October 2010 09:26

To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: [CCIE R&S General] File sharers crippling the training
    industry

I dont feel the Cisco LAB price of $1400 is now justified. The CCIE (any
    track) is not worth as much in the real world as it used to be.

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

•  

Agreed about the lab exam price, I commonly see CCIE positions with the salaries starting from £30k to a max of £50/60k which is not really not a true replication of the hard work and effort required to pass the CCIE lab exam the correct way, looking at the cost of the exam (i.e., cost in money, cost in time investment, mental effort etc). May be a simple sales person is earning the same sort of figure without any certification/degree under his belt ;)

That's how it looks in UK job market, not sure what average salaries do you guys have in US and other countries.  

• I remember CCIE certs being work a min of 80k and typically over
    100k in the UK market.

It’s now around 50k with 70k being exceptional...

Jay

[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of adeelmpk

Sent: 04 October 2010 11:16

To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: [CCIE R&S General] RE: File sharers crippling the
    training industry

Agreed about the lab exam price, I commonly see CCIE positions with the
    salaries starting from £30k to a max of £50/60k which is not really not a true
    replication of the hard work and effort required to pass the CCIE lab exam the
    correct way, looking at the cost of the exam (i.e., cost in money, cost in time
    investment, mental effort etc). May be a simple sales person is earning the
    same sort of figure without any certification/degree under his belt ;)

That's how it looks in UK job market, not sure what
    average salaries do you guys have in US and other countries.  

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx