More Grading questions...INE labs and the Real thing

As I stated in a previous post I'm hitting Vol2 hard over the next couple of weeks. I was reading lab 1 tonight and noticed something on the grading that confused me.

It says that a 'section must work 100%' under the grading description. Does that mean for example in IPv4 that all tasks under IPv4 must be 100% correct? In lab 1 IPv4 is 12 points - if I don't get 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 100% correct - I get zero points for the IPv4 section? OR is it that 100% of the bullet points in 2.1 must be correct for me to get the full 4 points for 2.1. But if I were to get 2.1 partially wrong, I wouldn't get those 4 points but I might still get the points for 2.2 and 2.3 if they are correct?

I hope that makes sense - it's a big difference. I have taken the real V4 exam and failed the troubleshooting section by 1 task (ran out of time) back in October of '09. During the config section I didn't try very hard which resulted in a not so shockingly low score for that section on my score report.

I'm wondering how the real lab is graded if it is the same way (makes sense that these practice labs would be designed with the same grading in mind).

If it is truely based on the entire 'Section' like IPv4 or IGP and any sub task (2.1,2.2,2.3) points are unattainable if one of them is wrong in some way - what is the point of separating the point value out per 'task'? If that is the case...man...it's sobering.

I failed the v3 exam unfortunately back in August of '09 and that sucked, the OEQs got me. The grading on that test was points per 'task' and my score report reflected a very nice passing score on the configuration section (too bad I had that goose egg next to OEQ).

Comments

• yes its correct, in V4 there are no partial points. A Task should be 100% correct.

HTH

• Let me be more clear...

For example:

Section 2 - IPv4 - 12 pts

TASK 2.1 - 4 points

• some stuff here
    • some more stuff
    • hard stuff
    • easy stuff
    • stuff you don't want to do
    • stuff that is irritating

TASK 2.2 - 4 points

• Stuff
    • Stuff that if you found the actual proctor who wrote it you would probably end up in jail
    • easy stuff
    • you want me to do what?

TASK 2.3 - 4 points

• stuff
    • interesting stuff
    • now I see what they are after
    • why do they hate me so?
    • Maybe I'll pass next time...
    • stuff that makes you wonder what you're going to tell your wife...

So - we have the entire SECTION 2 with multiple TASKS. Each task has multiple parts to it. My interpretation of the grading description from the INE practice lab (Volume 2 lab 1) is that the entire section encompasses all of tasks 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3. If I miss one sub-task of any of the tasks I've missed the entire section's points.

I hope that isn't how it is. I hope it is that if in TASK 2.3 I miss the 'interesting stuff' subtask that I then only miss the 4 points possible for section 2.3 but I can still get 8 points in the whole IPv4 section.

So - ultimately is it all or nothing per SECTION or can I get some points in a section if I get all the subtasks correct for 2.1 and 2.3 but miss something in 2.2 (thus not getting the points for 2.2)?

• It is NOT all or nothing per section. But please keep in mind that failing to do one TASK (with its multiple subtasks) might cause you to fail another TASK.

• Thanks Anthony - I know one task can kill another but it isn't always the case - should I assume it is?

It is a hard hurdle to overcome to have to think that if you don't get a section 100% - you will fail that section. At that point - points become very hard to get. I'm sure you have had some feedback from some students who have failed but felt they did well. In those cases were the score reports much lower than they expected?

Is that an okay question to ask?

• I have my students learn to distinguish a CORE task from a
    NONCORE task.

A CORE task is a task that can indeed cause other tasks to fail.
    A NONCORE task is one that cannot impact other points.

An example of a CORE task – Connect to BB3 using Frame Relay per
    the diagram. Configure EIGRP AS 100 to learn the routes from the backbone
    device. 3 points

An example of a NONCORE task – Configure R6 to show the
    following text when an engineer Telnets into the device “This router is really
    sick at the moment.”

[email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of mikester

Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:02 PM

To: Anthony Sequeira

Subject: Re: [CCIE R&S General] More Grading questions...INE labs
    and the Real thing

Thanks Anthony - I know one task can kill another but it isn't always the
    case - should I assume it is?

It is a hard hurdle to overcome to have to think that if you don't get a
    section 100% - you will fail that section. At that point - points become very
    hard to get. I'm sure you have had some feedback from some students who have
    failed but felt they did well. In those cases were the score reports much lower
    than they expected?

Is that an okay question to ask?

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• I got it. It wouldnt make sense if its was points per section, yet specify those points only per task. If its 4 points for task 2.2, thats all or nothing right there.

I do like the core, non core concept, am I correct to assume that points for non core tasks are now worth more than those for core tasks?

• No - do not make that assumption - point values are dictated by level of difficult of the task and/or that amount of configuration required. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 12, 2010, at 6:58 AM, abx <[email protected]> wrote:

I got it. It wouldnt make sense if its was points per section, yet specify those points only per task. If its 4 points for task 2.2, thats all or nothing right there.

I do like the core, non core concept, am I correct to assume that points for non core tasks are now worth more than those for core tasks?

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx