Task 1.2

Hello quys.

Instead of storm control, can we use "srr-queue bandwidth limit 30" on the interface?

I think it will have the same result.

Comments

• I am wondering the same thing, can some shed lights in here?

• Reposting this hoping someone can comment.

On SW2 Int fa0/2 is connected to R2 @ 100Mbps and Int fa0/24 is connected to BB2 @ 10Mbps.  R2 and BB2 are on the same VLAN22

Task calls for limiting R2 to 3Mbps egress to BB2.

SG says:

interface FastEthernet0/2

storm-control unicast level 3.00

Would the following achieve the same effect?

Interface FastEthernet0/24

srr-queue bandwidth limit 30

Other than traffic is limited to 3Mpbs ingress to SW2 therefore less burden on the switch.  Would the latter solution be OK?  What if I added another device in the mix on the same VLAN22.  That would mean R2 would be limited to 3Mbps to that device as well no?

Thanks in advance,

• I applied srr bandwidth limitation on f0/24 to avoid future hosts in vl 22 using bb2 at more than 3mbps...

I think this is a case where you may wanto to ask the proctor if "policing" is just MQC policing or SRR bw limitation is treated as policing as well.

• Hi there

I also had a look at SRR as it is shaping/limiting traffic to the egress queue and not considdered as policing, my bet would be that it's a viable solution in this case.

kr

Josua[:)]

• I too thought of srr at first, but it would be wrong.

The question states that you can configure SW2 ONLY. srr-queue can only rate limit at 10% intervals. Hence you would have to change SW2 to 10Mb, but then you would have to change either R2 or BB2's interface to match. That goes against the wording of the question

• My Config looks like this. Not sure if I would still get the point

interface FastEthernet0/2
     storm-control unicast level bps 3m

• Hi,

100% you get the points, it's the same thing as in the SG, just configured in a different way.

Good luck with your studies!

• I would think that storm-control is "policing like", because it drops everything above the set rate. So for me, SRR bandwidth limit is more appropriate for the wording of the task, because it shapes the egress traffic.

Gabor

• I would think that storm-control is "policing like", because it drops everything above the set rate. So for me, SRR bandwidth limit is more appropriate for the wording of the task, because it shapes the egress traffic.

I also used srr bandwidth limit for this task.

I also used srr bandwidth limit for this task.

I used srr queue as well. 

• I used
    storm-control unicast level bps 3m - can someone please confirm if this is valid?

• I used
    storm-control unicast level bps 3m - can someone please confirm if this is valid?

Hi machiavelli1079 ,

This is a valid solution, so you are indeed metting the requirements

HTH

Good luck!

• I also used srr bandwidth limit for this task.

Doesn't using srr bandwidth limit  break the task requirements - in this case we are asked limit only unicast traffic.  Your solution would limit all traffic types i.e. broadcast and multicast too.

• Doesn't using srr bandwidth limit  break the task requirements - in this case we are asked limit only unicast traffic.  Your solution would limit all traffic types i.e. broadcast and multicast too.

By using srr bandwidth limit I want to make sure that atleast unicast traffic is limited to this rate and i do not care about other traffic because task no where says to limit ONLY unicast traffic. 

• Hey all,

I also thought this task meant the srr-queue bandwidth limit on fa0/24, since by default that interface is 10m, we could set the limit to 30%?

I am confused on what in the wording pointed me away from this solution.

Thanks!

• Hi,

In this case I do not see any pointers to one solution vs the other. Both solutions are 100% correct, so nothing is leading you to use srr or storm-control.

Just my 2 cents