EEM technology question

Hi everyone, 

For a project, I'm trying to look at the possibility of using EEM to do automatic fault detection and correction. For this I would like to have the possibility for a router to automatically check configuration files, lets say for misconfiguration. I have read that this is possible locally to a router, so a router can check its own configuration file for faults, but this does not help when there are dependencies in the configuration file.

So my question is, if it is possible for a router to automatically check/compary/analyze its own configuration file as well as configuration file from another router (lets say directly connected router) using EEM Tcl scripting??

So, in other words, can I set up EEM to automatically TELNET to another router execute the "show run" command and save this into some variables in Tcl and compare and analyse it to other config files? I'm not sure if this has to be done via Telnet.

Hope I can get some more advice on this topic!

Thanks!

Kenneth Chong

Comments

• A guys from Cisco Joe Clarke has wrote an Embedded Automation Systems package to do batch-based remote connectivity scripts using EEM.  You can find his EASy Remote Command Shell at http://www.cisco.com/go/easy .  Using this, you could grab a show run from a remote device, then compare it to the running config from the local device using "show archive config diff

Hope to help

Francisco

• Hey Francisco,

Many thanks for providing me this information. I checked the site out, but I dont really find the information how to use it, or some documentation about the "remote command shell" and how the router actually does this. But I'm hapy to know that there are something written for it. Now Im trying to find out how it works, if it uses alot of router resources, and how many config files can it analyse simultaneously, etc.. and also if I can look for specific lines or word in both of the configuration file and compare them..

If you know more, would be great to hear from you! Thanks!!

• need rsh  to handle this  :

RT3#show run | sec rcmd

ip rcmd rsh-enable

ip rcmd remote-host RT11(/user) 1.1.1.1 RT10(RT10hostname) enable

----RT11 is just a "login name" ,not a router

RT10#rsh 3.3.3.3 /user RT11 show ip int brief

Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

FastEthernet0/0        unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down    

Serial2/0              unassigned      YES NVRAM  up                    down    

Serial2/1              23.0.0.3        YES NVRAM  up                    up      

Serial2/2              unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down    

Serial2/3              unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down    

Serial2/4              unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down    

Serial2/5              unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down    

Serial2/6              unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down    

Serial2/7              unassigned      YES NVRAM  administratively down down    

Loopback0              3.3.3.3         YES NVRAM  up                    up      

----------THESE RESULT  CAN BE USED by  "tclsh on RT10 "(although  these results are "the results" of "RT3")

• Hi IhgaznIterry,

Thanks for your information.

So is there a difference between using the rsh and the remote command shell as described by Francisco?

It's a little bit confusing..