Second attempt...

So I just got back from my second attempt. I was 95% certain I got all four OEQs, 80% sure I got 10 of 11 on troubleshooting and about 90% sure I had ACED the config section. Score report: Core - Pass, Troubleshoot - Pass, Config - Fail. Oddly enough I had my score report within two hours of leaving the testing center. They were saying we should get our score reports fast because they had to clear out the database and get ready for the new format Monday without OEQs.

This one is really distressing, I don't think it could have gone any better and I honestly have no idea what I lost points on. I had a couple of tasks deliberated on but for the most part I felt pretty certain. I finished almost two hours early and spent the final two hours doing tcl script full pings of all IPs, reloading devices and testing again. Verified each of my tasks/configuration against the requirements/constraints. I even spent nearly an hour looking up configuration guides to read up on the few items I was concerned with.

I wonder if they took points off for hard coding router-id's? There was a statement not to modify or configure router-ids with OSPF, which I did not do. There was no statement as such for the other routing protocols so I set router-ids for EIGRP and BGP but I even asked the proctor and they said it would not adversely affect my score. I actually got up to ask the proctors several questions, six total I believe, on any item that I felt was the least bit ambiguous or I was in any way unsure of.

My estimation is that they are looking for configuration that isn't explicitly asked for and/or they are taking points off for anything extra at all that isn't needed. I did not read anywhere that I should use the minimum configuration/lines necessary. I did have several stipulations like to use only one access-list or only one route-map, which I made 100% certain that was the case.

I don't know where to go from here. If I had struggled with any of the tasks or technologies I would know what to study up on, but I didn't. I felt very comfortable that I had a solid understanding of what was being requested, the protocols and options involved and the necessary configuration items. I just don't know what to work on. One last note, from my first attempt to my second attempt I spent the majority of my time studying MPLS/MP-BGP and I did not get a single question, task or ticket on that.

I may drop R&S for now and start working on Security. Just very disconcerting and upsetting thinking that I don't know where I could have improved, what else I could have done...

Brandon Mangold

Comments

• Sorry to hear you didn't pass. It sounds like you had it nailed, and it may have been something freaking crazy they knock you on.

Have you considered a regrade? Did the score report indicate any area you may have lost the points from?

• So sorry Brandon for this bad news. Like chosen_one, i advise you to ask for a regrade. Because they maybe hurry the scoring and with the manual scoring you will earn the missing points.

• man... do NOT quit, do the regrade and then if you really fails, take a rest and try again, ur SO CLOSE, if you stopo now then in the futue you will probably have to study again a few things that u'll forgot, do not quit man!!!  Anyway, i hope the regrade succeed !!!

regards

• man... do NOT quit, do the regrade and then if you really fails, take a rest and try again, ur SO CLOSE, if you stopo now then in the futue you will probably have to study again a few things that u'll forgot, do not quit man!!!  Anyway, i hope the regrade succeed !!!

regards

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM, 7elfathi <[email protected]> wrote:

So sorry Brandon for this bad news. Like chosen_one, i advise you to ask for a regrade. Because they maybe hurry the scoring and with the manual scoring you will earn the missing points.

--
    View this message online at: http://ieoc.com/forums/p/11510/109603.aspx#109603
    --

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gustavo F. Coutinho
    Cisco Certified Network Professional
    AT&T Network engineer

Cel: +55(19) 8182-5898
    MSN: [email protected]

"The quiet war has begun with silent weapons
    And the new slavery is to keep the people
    Poor and stupid, “Novus Ordo Seclorum**"

**As palavras "NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM" na tarja inferior da pirâmide incompleta no verso da nota de Um Dólar nos diz qual era o objetivo dos Pais Fundadores dos EUA: estabelecer uma "Nova Ordem das Épocas", também conhecida comumente na literatura ocultista como "Nova Ordem Mundial".
  • So sorry to hear that..
    as evryone says, It would be better to ask for regrading.
    you got the score within 2 hours after the test,,
    I guess they never do manual scoring..

• It looks like they may not allow me to even request a re-read. The option to submit is not available on my 'certification status' or my 'score report' pages. What the hell is going on? I submitted a trouble ticket about it but I read that they only make the re-read available for labs who have the potential to be changed.

• If there were no requirements about the FR Switch cfg, i don't see why the global config would not be adequate ???

I think, like Scott said before, be professional when you're submitting your trouble ticket with solid arguments and we hope an Happy End.

Keep "fighting" !!!

• Since you received your score report so fast this time - it does not seem like you received the "human verification" you should have.

:-( 
    On May 10, 2010, at 10:30 AM, bmangold wrote:

It looks like they may not allow me to even request a re-read. The option to submit is not available on my 'certification status' or my 'score report' pages. What the hell is going on? I submitted a trouble ticket about it but I read that they only make the re-read available for labs who have the potential to be changed.

One other note, I used the global 'connect' configuration for my frame-relay switch vs the interface 'route' command'. I really hope that they didn't mark me wrong on that. I had the same lab twice and last time I did the frame-relay route statements and had a higher layer 2 score...

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• My apologies, I don't mean to sound obstinate about this but it has become somewhat obvious to me that the reason so few people are able to pass CCIE v4 has a lot to do with the method that the Cisco proctors are using to grade the exam. From conversations with others who have recently sat the lab as well it appears that the automated scripts that Cisco has been using for their initial grading is only looking for a few specifics rather than being configured to look for multiple possible solutions. I also get the distinct impression that the Cisco proctors are not doing their due diligence to verify whether requirements are truly being met but are rather doing a quick check for a few key configuration items and simply moving on if those are not found.

In my mind it would be a travesty if Cisco is pushing the CCIE lab as purely revenue generating program to the exclusion of promoting product expertise and competency. This also promotes laziness on the proctors part as most people who sit the CCIE are willing to suffer through multiple attempts. Not passing people who should have has no adverse effects on the proctors as Cisco is happy to continue to collect exam fees, training program and press book sales. Sadly, with the recent 'voucher scandal' along with the heavy push of driving partners and individuals away from training vendors such as INE to their in house training programs, it appears this is the case.

Behind the scenes I would image there is a strong political element to all of this. I for one am very sad that I have pursued this lofty goal, that of attaining a CCIE, at such a spotty period in the programs history. I hope I am wrong and that my assumptions and 'conspiracy theories', if you will, are unfounded. If not, and at least some of my fears continue to prove true; I wonder if there is a way to fight these political issues?

INE stands a lot to lose at this point and I will be totally honest in saying this: when I do somehow manage to get through and finish my R&S, if decide to pursue my Security, I may consider forgoing the INE preparation classes in lieu of Cisco's training programs to attain the political advantage. I really wonder if Cisco is disseminating specific information in their CCIE programs that may not be so readily available elsewhere to help their candidates discern the desired configuration for the lab. They stand to gain a lot in the way of training revenue if they can convince the market that their training is better because a higher percentage of new CCIE #s are coming through them rather than third party.

I for my part love INE and recognize that they are the best in the business. I have a feeling Cisco doesn't replicate the same feelings... thoughts?

------

Edit: I don't think I could sell out like that, I don't want to be a supporter of Cisco's dogma any more than I have to. I'll forgo the CCIE certification before I give Cisco what they want. They make enough money as it is. JNCIE any one?

• you should re-read. maybe it is the cisco mistake.

• This takes the F'ING CAKE, Cisco's response to my request for a re-read:

"Unfortunately, if there is no option to request a read, then that means you are
    not eligible for a reread. 

We encourage you to register for the Cisco
    Learning Network at www.cisco.com/go/learnnetspace."

What a bunch of money grubbing SOBs!

THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!