BGP Doc question

Hi all,

When you take the R/S 4.0 Lab, will you have access to the BGP Technology pages dealing with FAQ and Case studies?  I understand a lot of concepts when it comes to BGP, but like most, I have a lot of trouble when it comes to implementing policies and manipulating routes.  I just looked at some of these sections today and I think they will be very useful in my studies..

Regards,

Johnnie

Comments

• Hi Johnnie, when you say "like most, I have a lot of trouble when it comes to implementing
    policies and manipulating routes" the answer is quite simple.  You need to work through BGP Vol 1 several times until path selection manipulation & other BGP tasks becomes easier and easier.  I keep the BGP Vol 1 labs and configs loaded on my routers so I can recall them and re-do them whenever I feel like it.  The BGP Vol1 lab is fantastic and should not be rushed. 

In the lab you will have access to the Master Command pages, Configuration Guides and Command Reference for each technology.  Check out one of the INE seminars that covers the Cisco documentation to help :-)

• Hi,

Thank you for your help.  That was great advice!!  I'm pretty good at surfing through the Doc CD.  I read so many posts about how important it is to be able to surf through the documentation cd without any problems.  I have done the first BGP lab in Volume one  3 times already, but  I always run into issues towards the last section of the lab.  I watched the VOD again and I started reading the BGP Command Handbook that they referred to in the VOD.  I have to say, that book is great and I think it will serve as a valuable tool for me or anyone else whose having troubles when it comes to configuring and controlling BGP attibutes and policies.  Its time for me to study hard again, but thanks again!!

Johnnie

• I would recommend that you don't get hung up on trying to master BGP and be sure to work through lab book II. For me a lot of the individual technologies didn't start to really make sense until I used them in the context of a full network. A lot of the features in BGP will make more sense when you pair them with the appropriate associated technology or scenario. That's not to say that you should be aware of 90% of the options available in BGP because you should. I just don't think its possible to make it 'stick' until you start using it in full scale, Lab book II type, scenarios.

Hi,

Thank you for your help.  That was great advice!!  I'm pretty good at surfing through the Doc CD.  I read so many posts about how important it is to be able to surf through the documentation cd without any problems.  I have done the first BGP lab in Volume one  3 times already, but  I always run into issues towards the last section of the lab.  I watched the VOD again and I started reading the BGP Command Handbook that they referred to in the VOD.  I have to say, that book is great and I think it will serve as a valuable tool for me or anyone else whose having troubles when it comes to configuring and controlling BGP attibutes and policies.  Its time for me to study hard again, but thanks again!!

Johnnie