Split Horizon and EIGRP

Hi guys, I am experimenting with some split horizon settings and EIGRP. My network has a router running an interface in multipoint mode to a frame relay cloud, with three routers hanging off the same cloud and EIGRP neighbour status is formed with the router running multipoint.

By default split horizon is turned on for EIGRP and is still configured on the multipoint interfqace, so if I create a loopback interface on one of the "branch" routers and advertise that in EIGRP with a relevant network statement, not all branch routers see it...this is cool..nothing to panic about here.

However, I can obviously tell there's an issue if I look at each individual branch router's eigrp routing table and not see the new route. What I would like to know is if there is a debug command that will glaringly tell me a route is not being updated to neighbours due to split-horizon?

I tried debug eigrp packet but this didn't seem to tell me anything related to the above.

Thanks

Dean

Comments

• Check this out:

I guess it shows that at least way back when this was written - no specific debug for this....

On Apr 2, 2010, at 9:09 AM, deano wrote:

Hi guys, I am experimenting with some split horizon settings and EIGRP. My network has a router running an interface in multipoint mode to a frame relay cloud, with three routers hanging off the same cloud and EIGRP neighbour status is formed with the router running multipoint.

By default split horizon is turned on for EIGRP and is still configured on the multipoint interfqace, so if I create a loopback interface on one of the "branch" routers and advertise that in EIGRP with a relevant network statement, not all branch routers see it...this is cool..nothing to panic about here.

However, I can obviously tell there's an issue if I look at each individual branch router's eigrp routing table and not see the new route. What I would like to know is if there is a debug command that will glaringly tell me a route is not being updated to neighbours due to split-horizon?

I tried debug eigrp packet but this didn't seem to tell me anything related to the above.

Thanks

Dean

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

• deanodeano ✭✭

Thankyou Anthony

• In real world and lab It will be a good idea to take a look at Logical Network topology and such issues can be identified quicly with that.

That's why good documentation reduces troubleshooting time significantly in real networks.

Rgds,

Deepak

http://deepakarora1984.blogspot.com/