Multicast General RP Question

Experts - When implementing Multicast Sparse-Mode and specifying a static RP pointing to a Loopback interface, do we must then enable "IP pim sparse-mode" on that loopback address or that won't be needed?

What I'm seeing is that some configuration would enable "ip pim sparse mode" on the loopback serving as the static RP, and some confguration examples don't. 

I just need to know what is the best recommended way to go about this....

Comments

• ccietobe2010,

When the loopback interface is used by pim (i.e. lo0 is the rp or mapping agent address used), the loopback must have pim enabled. You would also need pim enabled for MDT or MSDP.

If the loopback is not used for multicast routing, pim is not needed on the loopback.

Experts - When implementing Multicast Sparse-Mode and specifying a static RP pointing to a Loopback interface, do we must then enable "IP pim sparse-mode" on that loopback address or that won't be needed?

What I'm seeing is that some configuration would enable "ip pim sparse mode" on the loopback serving as the static RP, and some confguration examples don't. 

I just need to know what is the best recommended way to go about this....

• Darrell - Thank you very much for this reply.