Having Problems Getting Started VOL1

HI , I'm hoping you can help me , I'm just about to start the INE Volume I workbook and and stuck on 1.1 Layer 2 Access Switchports

The Issue is im having difficulty working out the answer to the question

I'm having trouble matching the the required information to the diagrams provided.

The answer for SW1 is by adding  vlan 7,58,67,79,146 to the database... but how is this worked out.... VLAN 58 is on the other side of the network.. do  I need to look at the phyiscal and logical diagrams for this?

Your help is much appreciated

Comments

• deanodeano ✭✭

Yeah I am having the same issues, the topology diagram looks nothing like what the question is asking you to do. Are we looking at the right topology? If I run sh cdp neighbors on the switches I can see what is plugged into each port and thats the best I can see....

• Important thing here to notice is that you need to understand about how to draw L2 topology (logical) in the lab quickly because Physical L2 topology will not have much use.

There is a good post by Anthony on this.

http://blog.ine.com/2009/02/04/solving-for-the-physical-topology-using-a-logical-topology/

Going further you can see the study plan that I used for switching. It may work for you too...

http://deepakarora1984.blogspot.com/2010/03/ccie-r-switching-study-plan.html

Hope this will help...

Deepak Arora

• deanodeano ✭✭

Thanks for the info here. I just took a look at Anthony's blog entry and that makes sense. I will go back and take another look and see what I can come up with.

• Thanks for this  , I fully understand now!

• I am not sure if someone has already wrote down this method in some other post but I thought I will write this down for myself and also share it with my friends. [:)]

The way I remembered (memorized) this is by understanding the physical connectivity. Here's the way our pod is connected:

1)

All ODD numbered routers are connected to ODD numbered switches. i.e. R1, R3, R5, and BB3 are connected to SW1 and SW3

All EVEN numbered routers are connected to EVEN numbered switches. i.e. R2, R4, R6, and BB2 are connected to SW2 and SW4

2)

All the Lower Ethernet segment (i.e. Fa0/0) are connected to lower numbered switch and Higher segment (Fa0/1) is connected to higher numbered switch.

Ex. R3 Fa0/0 is connected to SW1 fa0/3  and R3 Fa0/1 is connected to SW3 fa0/3.

3) Backbones are simple - BB2 is connected to SW2 and BB3 is connected to SW3.

4) Interswitch links:

The common point in all the switches is that they use ports from range fa0/13 - fa0/21. I broke this range into 3 parts and gave them name - 13-15 range A, 16-18 range B and 19-21 range C

For this, Start with SW1

All the ranges in SW1 (A, B and C) will connect to range "A" in all the switches 

i.e. SW1 - A is connected to SW2 - A; SW1 - B is connected to SW3 - A; SW1 - C is connected to SW4 - A

For SW 2, All the "remaining" ranges (B and C) are connected to range "B" of SW3 and SW4.

For SW3 the only remaining range "C" is connected to SW4 range "C".

Now, once you understand the pattern of the physical connection, the logical is very easy.

lets take an example of VLAN 146 between R6, R4 and R1.

to make this VLAN in appropriate switch, you will see that R1's Fa0/0 is in this VLAN 146 which means that "ODD" numbered router's "Lower" Ethernet is in the VLAN. so by looking at points 1 and 2 above, we can determine that it is connected to SW1. Similarly, R4's Fa0/1 is connected which translates to "EVEN" router and "Higher" interface so it has to be SW4. And in the last, R6's fa0/0 means that "EVEN" router "Lower" interface - so SW2. So in order to get connectivity, all you have to do is create VLAN 146 in SW1, SW2, and SW4

Hope this makes sense. It might look complicated in first glance, but once you have this pattern in mind, you will be able to do all the workbook volumes with ease not just VOL 1 as in all the volumes, the physical connection is same. 

Good luck everyone! [:)]

Dhrumil

• Nice post , it is easy to understand , thanks alot

• This is a great post to help me to understand the topology. Thanks alot!!!