8.1 is this correct in the Solutions guide?

8.1 says data should be sent at a substained rate of 256kbps per a dlci. The solutions guide as..

R1, R2, R4 and R5
interface s0/0
frame-relay class FRTS
frame-relay traffic-shaping

Since R5 is multi point sub interface and a point to point sub interface for frame relay this would limit all the dlci's to 256k no or am I wrong?

I put this config on R5. This would give each dlci 265 so 3X 256 right?

!
interface Serial0/0
frame-relay traffic-shaping
!
interface Serial0/0.15 point-to-point
frame-relay class FRTS

interface Serial0/0.245 multipoint
frame-relay interface-dlci 502
class FRTS
frame-relay interface-dlci 504
class FRTS
!

Comments

• I think your solutions works too Dane (I'll try to remember to play around or look at this on the DocCD tomorrow when I put FR together for my next lab). But the Solutions Guide approach is definitely the more streamlined and safer approach. Just let your subinterfaces inherit the class from the physical interface. Somewhere in my notes from the written I'm pretty certain that I have it written down that things actually start down at the DLCI level, and if nothing's configured there, look at the subinterface level, and if nothing's configured there, look at the physical interface level. And if nothing's configured there, default to 56 kbps!!!

IIRC
  • Please correct me if I am wrong but when you said

But the Solutions Guide approach is definitely the more streamlined and safer approach. Just let your subinterfaces inherit the class from the physical interface.

What is does is the 256 is shared between ALL interfaces if you put it on the physical interface. To shape dlci by dlci you need to put it the way above?
  • Dane,

Once you issue 'frame-relay traffic-shaping' on the interface, every VC, whether configured at the interface or subinterface level, is shaped - separately!

This caught me off guard too, but I cleared the cobweb by looking at some of the various 'show' output. For example, apply the class at interface level and then do a 'sh traffic-shaping'. Actually, a small handful of various show commands will eventually reveal that the values configured in the class that has been applied at the interface or subinterface level apply to each VC individually.

Try it out in your next lab...

Cheers,

Scott
  • I had the exact same question. Scott is right. Either way works. If you put it on the physical interface then all PVCs inherit it. There's no sharing of bandwidth. Interesting.