Task 8.2 quick question

The solutions guide uses a policy-map with:

police cir 256000

Whereas I came up with everything else the same as the solutions guide, but used:

bandwidth 256

It seems like the same thing is accomplished, is there a reason the guide chose cir or is it just preference?

Comments

• The bandwidth statement creates a minimum bandwidth guarantee but doesn't prevent more bandwidth from being used so it would not meet the task requirements.

HTH,

Steve
  • Gah. Police versus reserve, at two opposite ends of the spectrum. I'm pleading early-morning brainfart on this one.
  • Thanks for the quick response by the way.
  • Hello,

What about if I used : police 256000 confirm transmit exceed drop

is that ok ?

Thanks
    Moamen
  • >>What about if I used : police 256000 confirm transmit exceed drop

I think it's the same. I did "police 256000" - when you then do a "show policy-map interface" you can see that the statement gives a CIR of 256000

Rack2R4#s policy-map int e0
    Ethernet0

Service-policy input: QOS

Class-map: WORK_HOURS_HTTP_RESPONSES (match-all)
    0 packets, 0 bytes
    5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
    Match: access-group name ACL_WORK_HOURS_HTTP_RESPONSES
    police:
    cir 256000 bps, bc 8000 bytes
    conformed 0 packets, 0 bytes; actions:
    transmit
    exceeded 0 packets, 0 bytes; actions:
    drop

rich
  • As per the SG, 'police cir 256000' cmd is configured, so instead of that cmd, can i use 'police 256000' only? Correct me if I am wrong, as per my undersatdning from previous labs, if the traffic exceed the 256000 then it will be droped automatically (as per theory).

Also, whats the difference b/w 'police cir 256000' cmd and 'police 256000' cmd? I would appreciate if someone clarify. Thanks