9.25 IPv6 PIM and MLD

Hi INE

Two issues i want to highlight with this task:

1. There is no mentioning of the disabling of serial interfaces b/w R3 and R1 in this task, like the way you asked for disabling serial FR b/w R4 and R5. This should have mentioned explicitly.
  2. The task also needs the candidate to configure "ipv6 mld limit 10" as per asked in the 4th point of this task "...and should limit the maximum number of multicast states on the interface towards SW2 to 10". Referring to Cisco's documentation, there is no default set on the maximum number of multicast states on the interface. This can be seen from the following outputs before and after configuration is applied:

Rack1R5(config-if)#do sh ipv6 mld int f0/0

FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up

Internet address is FE80::C004:52FF:FED4:0/10

MLD is enabled on interface

Current MLD version is 2

MLD query interval is 10 seconds

MLD querier timeout is 25 seconds

MLD max query response time is 10 seconds

Last member query response interval is 1 seconds

Inbound MLD access group is: MLD_ACCESS_GROUP

MLD activity: 9 joins, 0 leaves

MLD querying router is FE80::C004:52FF:FED4:0 (this system)

Rack1R5(config-if)#ipv6 mld limit 10      

Rack1R5(config-if)#

Rack1R5(config-if)#do sh ipv6 mld int f0/0

FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up

Internet address is FE80::C004:52FF:FED4:0/10

MLD is enabled on interface

Current MLD version is 2

MLD query interval is 10 seconds

MLD querier timeout is 25 seconds

MLD max query response time is 10 seconds

Last member query response interval is 1 seconds

Inbound MLD access group is: MLD_ACCESS_GROUP

Interface State Limit : 0 active out of 10 max

MLD activity: 9 joins, 0 leaves

MLD querying router is FE80::C004:52FF:FED4:0 (this system)

Please comment.

Thanks.

Regards

Muhammad

Comments

• Since the SG does not show any configuration to set the "maximum number of multicast states to 10", I would think that they expect you to realize that the default value is 10 as you point out in your show command.

• I agree with you about point 1, where they specify to disable pim on FR link between R4 and R5 and don't mention anything about R1,R2,R3.

INE please review this lab and make the appropiate corrections.

Thanks

• This task still needs updating. Ipv6 mld limit is missing and I'm not sure why PIM is disable on link between R1 and R3.

• Most probably everything will be corrected soon (just a guess); however, for you, the more errors you see it means you are better prepared.

Good luck with your studies!

• You may be right with saying the more errors we see means the  better prepared we are, but misleading solutions in the answer key leaves us to questions ourselves uncessarily. 

A good percentage of the "real" exam is based on misleading questions.  The labs and solution guide should obviously account for that, although at least accurately reflect the resulting output configuration. 

It can be frustrating for us when we see this stuff..

anyone know of an option to flag these messages for escalation.

Thanks.

• i see still no change in the guides however i could understand one thing why pim needs to be disabled on R1 R3 R4 R5

as per the taks pim is enabled on R1 R3 R4 R5 R6 and R5 is Frame-replay hub between R1 R3 and R4. so if you disable the pim on R5 than it is not point keeping it enabled on the R1 and R3 interface. where multicast packet will always have to come to R5 from R1 and R3.

Thanks