Upgrading V3 hardware: Dynampis or 3725s ? R1-R6: is it all or nothing in Dynamips?
These days I am resuming my long time ago abandoned work toward CCIE R&S. In 2006 I believe, I bought the hardware I am listing below:
- 6x3640 128/32
- 1x2523 (FR switch)
- 1x2511 (TS)
-I already had a couple of 2500 and 2600 (not XM) good to use as BB routers or anything else.
From what I have read I could still do the lab in it's V4 version but there is a problem with C3640 not supporting the Zone-Based Policy Firewall feature. For that I would need 3725s I believe.
Having all these said here are my questions:
1. Do I really need to upgrade? I haven't read the labs and the technology labs and I need to know how much the ZBFW is used in the scenarios becase if this is the only feature not supported and it is not very used I can take the risk to go ahead with what I have
2. Which routers exactly do I need to upgrade? Is it enough to upgrade R4-R6 or I need to upgrade R1-R3 too? R1-R3 see to be 2600XM and I should be OK with using 3640s instead.
3. The diagrams are still showing some Ethernet connections for R3-R5 while the listed models can all do FastEthernet. Can I use Ethernet links where the diagram indicates so or that is just a mistake and I need FE everywhere ?
4. Is it possible to use Dynamips just for the routers I will have to upgrade? I believe this is the same with asking the following questions:
a. Is it possible make a serial connection between a Dynamips router and a real router (I don't think so but I am asking just to make sure I did't miss anything in my Dynamips lectures.
b. Can I still use the FR and the TS with Dynamips routers (let's say R1-R6 in Dynamips and everything else is real) - I also believe the answer is no at least for the TS router
5. Could you please recommend me a good source of hardware for upgrading C3640 to C3725? I am also looking for modules (2FE2W and 1FE2W)
6. Should I still keep the C3640 routers? Can they be used for the CCIE SP track ?
Any suggestion will be much appreciated.
Thank you very much for your help