Cisco Announced CCIE SP Opretations

The Cisco CCIE SP Operations certification assesses
and validates core IP NGN service provider operations expertise. 
Candidates who pass the CCIE SP Operations certification exams
demonstrate skills required of a expert-level (Tier III or Tier IV
support) operations engineer to troubleshoot and maintain complex
service provider IP NGN core (PE-PE and PE-CE) network infrastructures
in both IOS and IOS XR operating environments, plus validate broad
theoretical knowledge of operations management processes, frameworks,
and network management systems.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6395

Comments

• Yeah looks like something for a NOC Manager or Senior Engineer witihin the NOC, while the traditional SP track is based on Engineering/Design/Implementation of a SP Core network.

• I dont agree with mpls-te. CCIE SP or any CCIE track for that matter never ever meant to be a design cert. Thats why we have CCDE and CCA. All CCIE tracks are for operations and deal with break and fix scenarios. Look at the back cover of old Cisco Press CCIE professional books and you will see Cisco clearly saying CCIE program is committed to make your operations team more effective and agile.

With CCIE SP Operations, in my opinion Cisco is agreeing with their critics who are saying current SP track is not relevant for "today's" SP as it doesnt cover advanced and relevant technologies deployed/supported by SPs today like Advanced  TE, VPLS, H-VPLS,FRR,IOS XR, mLDP, InterAS Multicast using MDT AFI and Intelligent access layer to name a few. Layer 3 MPLS VPNs are already pushed to RS v4 and new SP Ops track will cover above mentioned topics for sure. In my opinion as far as current SP track is concerned, I think they are going to retire it or merge it with RS.

Also they could have revised the current SP track with new topics but I believe they are not going to let existing CCIE SP holders off the hook :-)

2 cents,

Zeus

• So, are they gone merge the current SP track or they gone bring some changes

and any idea upto when the current SP track will be valid 

• I won't be surprised to see Cisco retire SP track once SP-OPS is released. SP track materials are long overdued and should have been updated. Instead, Cisco decided to create a new track. IOS-XR will make this track more difficult to study because IOX only runs on higher end routers such as CRS and ASR. However, Cisco can argue that large ISPs don't use 26xx and 28xx in their core networks in the first place. Well, in six months, we will know how the lab looks like.

• Can't wait for a CRS reload in lab exam ... and configure  BGP policies with RPL, there many differences there in IOS XR and the obvious problem is that of practice with it (i can't afford a GSR or a CRS or ASR to play with, so rack rental looks like the way to get in depth with it, as a live network is out of question) and that is a big drawback but on the other hand almost every large ISP now days has these noise boxes deployed into their infrastructure. 76K platforms as well for VPLS, FRR, REP, using BFD, NSF, GR new ES20 cards for EVC, QinQ and many other scenarios can be found there as new challenge...lets wait and see.

BR

Orestis 

• Renting a Rack will be the main issue for the many candidate.................

or GNS 3 is developed with the newer version which supports this IOS XR

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

knowledge itself is power 

hope 4 best prepare 4 worst

• it's really intersting what are Cisco's plans for the CURRENT SP track. any word from INE guys???

• Can't wait for a CRS reload in lab exam ... and configure  BGP policies with RPL, there many differences there in IOS XR and the obvious problem is that of practice with it (i can't afford a GSR or a CRS or ASR to play with, so rack rental looks like the way to get in depth with it, as a live network is out of question) and that is a big drawback but on the other hand almost every large ISP now days has these noise boxes deployed into their infrastructure. 76K platforms as well for VPLS, FRR, REP, using BFD, NSF, GR new ES20 cards for EVC, QinQ and many other scenarios can be found there as new challenge...lets wait and see.

BR

Orestis 

QSim can simulate XR, but it's not free, or cheap.

• it's really intersting what are Cisco's plans for the CURRENT SP track. any word from INE guys???

If you have got a chance to read the blueprints of both tracks, SP and SP Operation don't look similar at all. They focus on different skill sets.

• Well, if I was a betting man, I would say Cisco may wind up retiring the SP track or renewing the blueprint for it.  Either way, I'm sick of SP material.  I passed the config section last month, but those darn OEQs got me.  I'm really disgusted in thinking that I have to study the same stuff again.  I'm thinking of starting the R/S study and wait to see what happens with SP.  I'm sure we'll know within a few months anyway.  Or, one could argue to hurry up and go back for the SP before they retire or change it.  But, again, I'm so burnt out on SP stuff.

What to do....what to do.....

• Well, if I was a betting man, I would say Cisco may wind up retiring the SP track or renewing the blueprint for it.  Either way, I'm sick of SP material.  I passed the config section last month, but those darn OEQs got me.  I'm really disgusted in thinking that I have to study the same stuff again.  I'm thinking of starting the R/S study and wait to see what happens with SP.  I'm sure we'll know within a few months anyway.  Or, one could argue to hurry up and go back for the SP before they retire or change it.  But, again, I'm so burnt out on SP stuff.

Hey, you have gone so far to pass the config part, don't let the QED get you. Don't give up and schedule the next available seat. You will make it next time.

• <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> Yeah, its scheduled for July - first available seat I had. And, I can't afford to take it every month.

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Date: 8 Feb 2010 14:39:10 -0800
    Subject: Re: [CCIE SP General] Cisco Announced CCIE SP Opretations

imageawilkins:

Well, if I was a betting man, I would say Cisco may wind up retiring the SP track or renewing the blueprint for it.  Either way, I'm sick of SP material.  I passed the config section last month, but those darn OEQs got me.  I'm really disgusted in thinking that I have to study the same stuff again.  I'm thinking of starting the R/S study and wait to see what happens with SP.  I'm sure we'll know within a few months anyway.  Or, one could argue to hurry up and go back for the SP before they retire or change it.  But, again, I'm so burnt out on SP stuff.

Hey, you have gone so far to pass the config part, don't let the QED get you. Don't give up and schedule the next available seat. You will make it next time.

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx