in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 05-29-2009 7:32 AM by nydimka23. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-29-2009 7:24 AM

Task 10.65 Catalyst 3550 Per-Port Per-Vlan Classification

In the task we are asked to mark IPX traffic with CoS value of 2 on interface connecting to R4.  That particular interface has been converted to trunk (in previous task) ... now i have configured 2 layerd class-maps as the solution guide but instead of setting IPX traffic to DSCP (like SG has) i set it to CoS 2 ... In the SG it has a note that we cannot set that traffic with CoS value (only when trusting DSCP) .. i thought that you can set the CoS value if the interface is a trunk ...

Can anyone clarrify this for me please? Why we can't use set cos command in class-map, is it becuase we have to trust DSCP? then would adding trust DSCP in policy-map make it work?

class-map match-all VLAN_146_ICMP
      match vlan  146
      match class-map ICMP

class-map match-all VLAN_146_IPX
      match vlan  146
      match class-map IPX

policy-map PER_PORT_PER_VLAN
      class VLAN_146_ICMP
       set dscp cs3
      class VLAN_146_IPX
       set cos 2
        trust dscp

Dmitriy Litvinko, CCIE #25150 (R&S)

• Post Points: 5
  • 05-29-2009 7:32 AM In reply to

Re: Task 10.65 Catalyst 3550 Per-Port Per-Vlan Classification

may be this quesiton will be simpler ....

If we need to set CoS value for specific traffic and we are using class-maps, then we cannot set cos directy, therefor we have to use DSCP vlaue (by checking with cos-dscp maping table) .... is this accurate?

nydimka23:

In the task we are asked to mark IPX traffic with CoS value of 2 on interface connecting to R4.  That particular interface has been converted to trunk (in previous task) ... now i have configured 2 layerd class-maps as the solution guide but instead of setting IPX traffic to DSCP (like SG has) i set it to CoS 2 ... In the SG it has a note that we cannot set that traffic with CoS value (only when trusting DSCP) .. i thought that you can set the CoS value if the interface is a trunk ...

Can anyone clarrify this for me please? Why we can't use set cos command in class-map, is it becuase we have to trust DSCP? then would adding trust DSCP in policy-map make it work?

class-map match-all VLAN_146_ICMP
      match vlan  146
      match class-map ICMP

class-map match-all VLAN_146_IPX
      match vlan  146
      match class-map IPX

policy-map PER_PORT_PER_VLAN
      class VLAN_146_ICMP
       set dscp cs3
      class VLAN_146_IPX
       set cos 2
        trust dscp