in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 12-19-2016 9:27 PM by Phoenix. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-14-2015 7:26 AM

CCNP VIRL files?

Hi,

has anyone managed to create Cisco VIRL files for the CCNP switch and route labs? I'm having issues with not being able to match the same/correct interfaces.

regards,

Frazer

• Post Points: 35
  • 07-14-2015 7:24 PM In reply to

Re: CCNP VIRL files?

that's normal; INE labs are created on CSR1000v; u have to covert interfaces into your rack lab if u using different gear.  like for iou, gns3, real rack, all configs must be switched.

• Post Points: 5
  • 09-25-2015 7:25 AM In reply to

I am wondering about this as well. Is the CCNP lab workbook built with VIRL in mind? With VIRL's IOSvL2 image I can only do 4 ports per group, for example 0/0 - 0/3 then 1/0 - 1/3 etc. Are the lab books written with this in mind? Are there VIRL topologies included? Just trying to make a purchasing descision.

• Post Points: 35
  • 09-25-2015 11:20 AM In reply to

The CCNP Lab Workbooks (ROUTE and SWITCH) are not based on VIRL or the CSRs.  Rather it is based on the topology we have available in our CCNA/CCNP Lab racks using real equipment.

• Post Points: 20
  • 09-26-2015 12:09 AM In reply to

so racks are separated; new CCIE RS and CCNP/CCNA; I bet CCNP/CCNA are using old v4 ccie rs rack. ?

Good to know. new ccie rs uses csrv1000 and real c3560 swtiches.

• 09-28-2015 8:21 AM In reply to

You are correct that the CCNA/CCNP racks were created using the hardware we once had in the CCIEv4 racks.  However, to clarify:

1. All of the switches in the CCNA/CCNP racks are 3560s.

2. For doing any CCNA/CCNP labs, there is no benefit of using CSRv's versus real routers.  The combination of four routers and three switches in each CCNA/CCNP rack (not including the Backbone Router and Frame-Relay switch) are quite sufficient for doing any CCNA/CCNP labs.  

As a matter of fact, those are the only racks I use when doing all of my demonstrations during my classes.  Even the CCIE-level topics I've taught (such as BGP, complex 802.1s MST labs, and...soon...MPLS) use those racks.

The main benefit of using the CCIE racks are simply for topologies that require more than four routers but considering that each of the three switches can also double as a router you really have up to seven "routers" available to you in those racks.

Hope that helps!

:-)

• 12-18-2016 1:18 PM In reply to

Hi:

Where you or anyone else reading this able to replicate the INE CCP Workbook lab using VIRL?  I just bought the CCNP Workbook today.  Any hints or "gotcha's" that I should be aware of -- other than the g0/0 interface is reserved for simulation management and it cannot be used ?

I plan to use if first for CCNP Switch.

Thanks!

Filed under:
  • 12-19-2016 10:25 AM In reply to

I was unable to replicate with VIRL. I had to basicallly round up some 2811 routers, 3560 switches and round up a few network modules to simulate the environment. The NP Route workbook has serial interfaces which VIRL can't emulate. VIRL is good for other stuff, but that lab book was written on real gear. Thought it best not to re-invent the wheel.

• 12-19-2016 9:27 PM In reply to

GNS3 can do the serial connections. Use GNS3.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
IEOC CCIE Forums Internetwork Expert CCIE Training
About IEOC | Terms of Use | RSS | Privacy Policy
© 2010 Internetwork Expert, Inc. All Rights Reserved