in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 01-04-2017 8:14 AM by kehagen. 75 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (76 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2014 11:08 AM

Building INE's RSv5 topology on VIRL

Use this thread for discussion on building the INE RSv5 topology on VIRL.

Further resources:

VIRL Homepage - http://virl.cisco.com

VIRL Community Forum - http://community.dev-innovate.com/c/virl

• Post Points: 185
  • 12-04-2014 12:45 PM In reply to

Re: Building INE's RSv5 topology on VIRL

Thank you Brian for the adapted files for VIRL!

Maybe I will give VIRL a try (instead of GNS3). Does anybody know what prerequisites i have to have to buy the academic version of VIRL?

Filed under:
    • Post Points: 35
  • 12-04-2014 2:16 PM In reply to

The terms say that if you buy the educational license and they find out you're not using it for educational purposes, they'll bill/charge you for the price difference.  I'm not sure how they would audit it though.  I bought the personal edition with the $50 discount though.

• Post Points: 5
  • 12-05-2014 1:43 PM In reply to

Norbert,

I thought it was interesting that they didn't request any validation when I bought an academic license.  Most companies want to confirm a .edu email address.

Brian,

I was thinking about spending some time this weekend trying to port initial configs to virl. It looks like you saved me some time. :-)

Do you have any plans on writing full labs and troubleshooting labs that can be run in the 15 device license requirement of virl (or at least don't use features that are new in 15.4-2)?

• Post Points: 20
  • 12-05-2014 7:31 PM In reply to

RE: Building INE's RSv5 topology on VIRL

As it stands now it’s not worth porting TS or Full Scale labs to VIRL because it doesn’t support L2 switching.  You can do all the technology labs and foundation labs with 10 devices though.  If you want to use VIRL but don’t want to build a 20 router + 4 switch topology I would recommend doing the tech labs and foundation labs in VIRL and then renting rack time for the TS and full scale labs.

From: hardware@ieoc.com [mailto:hardware@ieoc.com] On Behalf Of wjwilson057
    Sent: Friday, December 5, 2014 3:45 PM
    To: Brian McGahan
    Subject: Re: [hardware] Building INE's RSv5 topology on VIRL

Norbert,

I thought it was interesting that they didn't request any validation when I bought an academic license.  Most companies want to confirm a .edu email address.

Brain,

I was thinking about spending some time this weekend trying to port initial configs to virl. It looks like you saved me some time. :-)

Do you have any plans on writing full labs and troubleshooting labs that can be run in the 15 device license requirement of virl (or at least don't use features that are new in 15.4-2)?

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

• Post Points: 50
  • 12-05-2014 7:55 PM In reply to

Re: RE: Building INE's RSv5 topology on VIRL

Awesome thanks, just waiting for my download link.  Could have got academic version as i homeshool my kids and that is a valid pre-req!  Somebody got me a gift card though.  I wonder is there any way to tag in 4 physical switches and 5 other routers physical or virt using iou or some such...cant wait to try it...

• 12-05-2014 10:55 PM In reply to

Since VIRL requires VM Ware to run it I am sure there is a way to connect real gear to Vm ware via NIC on PC.

• 12-06-2014 5:40 AM In reply to

Information on bridging VIRL to the physical host is found at http://virl-dev-innovate.cisco.com/virl.tutorial.html#ml.09

As a test, I added the virtual interface that is eth1 on my VIRL VM to my GNS3/IOL VM.  I set up a L2 cloud on each and attached a device.  The L2IOL device saw the VIRL device in cdp.  I tried to set up dot1q between them, but I wasn't able to ping.  I tried without dot1q and I could ping between devices.  I haven't done any further testing yet.  For all I know, it could be a limitation of my laptop, so I plan to wait until I can test it on my desktop before messing with it any further.  Worst case, we can probably use a l2tp tunnel between breakout virtual and/or physical routers. 

One thing to take into consideration when trying to combine VIRL and GNS3 is memory and processor utilization.  I capped out at close to 100% CPU and memory, then I maxed out my disk transfer due to swapping and my topolopgy wasn't even that large.

• 12-07-2014 9:31 PM In reply to

" I tried to set up dot1q between them, but I wasn't able to ping.  I tried without dot1q and I could ping between devices."

so that would mean your connection is not dot1q supported;  did u use normal gns3 switch? the one that is just gns3 one (no image) and configure it correctly (trunking link to cloud).

• 12-08-2014 6:47 AM In reply to

In GNS3, I went directly from the L2IOL device to the cloud and configured the switchport as a trunk, then made a few dot1q subinterfaces on the VIRL IOSv router.  

I just played with it a bit more this morning.  I added a GNS3 switch in between the L2IOL device and the cloud and captured the traffic.  The ARPs weren't coming through correctly.  It looks like ARPs coming into GNS3 lost their encapsulation.  I tried switching the clould between Generic NIO and Linux NIO and got the same results.  I am using VMWare workstation 11 on Windows 8.1.  I verified that my host OS is showing that the virtual adapter is configured to support vlan tagging.  When I get a chance, I want to test it on my Linux server to see if it exhibits the same behavior.

Just for fun, I decided to verify that I could get the L2IOU to talk to an IOSv device using dot1q via a L2TPv3 tunnel.  It worked perfectly.

Realistically, I don't think the overhead for the extra L3IOU and IOSv routers is worth it for those who are trying to run simulations on their laptops.  

• 12-15-2014 12:17 AM In reply to

hi everyone,

I am having a LAB with VMWare running 1000v CSRs, do you think I should switch to VIRL, or should I continue running my lab as-is?

Any benefit running VIRL vs CSR? I can see a big plus on Data Center track because it support NX-OSv, but for R&S, I can't tell the difference.

• 12-15-2014 6:33 AM In reply to

RE: Building INE's RSv5 topology on VIRL

If you already have your lab running there’s no reason to switch to VIRL.

From: hardware@ieoc.com [mailto:hardware@ieoc.com] On Behalf Of hphan082
    Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:18 AM

hi everyone,

I am having a LAB with VMWare running 1000v CSRs, do you think I should switch to VIRL, or should I continue running my lab as-is?

Any benefit running VIRL vs CSR? I can see a big plus on Data Center track because it support NX-OSv, but for R&S, I can't tell the difference.

• 12-15-2014 10:57 PM In reply to

Thanks Brian!

Brian McGahan:

If you already have your lab running there’s no reason to switch to VIRL.

From: hardware@ieoc.com [mailto:hardware@ieoc.com] On Behalf Of hphan082
    Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:18 AM

hi everyone,

• 12-16-2014 1:04 PM In reply to

I am having great results with VIRL so far my only issue is when i step away from the pc for say 15-20 minutes the VM goes black as if its in a suspend state.  When I try to wake the VM up i end up being forced to reload the entire thing.  This is on VMPlayer, so many of the searches i have found are this problem with some sort of a resoltuion that does not map out since it is with the VMWorkstation (99$ client).

Is this a situation where i need to upgrade to be able to fix this or am i missing/describing it incorrectly?  Also one thing to note, i do have a KVM switch and at first i thought the problem may be related to when i swap from one PC back to the PC with the VM running and its been longer than 15-20 minutes BUT today i stepped away for 20 minutes and came back to problem described above.

• 12-16-2014 9:04 PM In reply to

VIRL runs on Linux. log in into vm and see if there is screen saver and/or power options. if not, some linux  expert should be able to install it 4 you

VM player have some preferences itself and there are also settigs for VM itself. check tthose.

Page 1 of 6 (76 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
IEOC CCIE Forums Internetwork Expert CCIE Training
About IEOC | Terms of Use | RSS | Privacy Policy
© 2010 Internetwork Expert, Inc. All Rights Reserved