in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 01-05-2015 7:21 AM by kammodo@hotmail.com. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2014 9:35 AM

Full Scale Lab 1 Review

Is anyone noticing the increased difficulty of these labs? Usually level "6" labs are a good review of the Advanced Technology labs, however I'm truly amazed at how complex and difficult this is for me. This is taking me a considerable amount of time to complete and almost every question I have a WTF moment and have to think about the solution. I just don't see how this can be done in 6 hours. I know this is a learning lab, and I shouldn't be timing myself but if this lab is anywhere close to what the real one is like, I'm hosed! There's no point in me even trying to get certified. Just learn what I can and go on about my daily life. Pretty frustrating as I can only imagine what the level 7-10 labs would look like. One could say studying more will help, sure it will, but when you're going on 2 years now it gets old. I was going to take the Bootcamp, but if I come out of that feeling slightly better than what I do now after spending $5k of my own money, what's the point... Just wondering if anyone else has expereinced this in this lab.

• Post Points: 35
  • 10-15-2014 9:58 AM In reply to

• JoeM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Guadalajara, Mexico
    • Elite
    • Points 31,005

Re: Full Scale Lab 1 Review

LOL  I had the same feeling about the lab, especially when I worked on the redistribution (the perfect storm of 3 igps lol). Lot's of tagging vs tick-tock-goes-the-lab-clock.  I got the feeling that it started as a 6/10 and then a few curve balls were thrown in the lab.   I started thinking that if this a 6/10, then what does a 9/10 look like?  Good thing I have postponed my next lab.     ;-)

But still, big kudos to whoever built this lab.  Good quality lab and very thorough explanations for each task.   Please keep them coming.  Big Thanks for all of the hard work.  ;-)

• Post Points: 20
  • 10-15-2014 10:09 AM In reply to

Yeah, the redistribution was rediculous. If that were the real lab, I probably would have "tried" it, but ended up just getting reachability. Wouldn't have spent very much time on that to be honest. Huge time consumer. I'm not complaining about the quality of the lab, it's just kind of an eye opener that this is a "6". The "6" that was for version 4 was nothing like this. This lab is about the equivalent of what an 8 would have been on the version 4 lab. Just concerned is all.

• 10-15-2014 10:36 AM In reply to

• JoeM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Guadalajara, Mexico
    • Elite
    • Points 31,005

I really liked the explanation about a backout plan for the redistribution task, because it was exactly how I was thinking. What do I do, if I am not on top of my game in the lab (nerves or whatever)?  Do I spend a lot of time on it, or do I sacrifice the 5 points and come back? (5 is a lot of points).

Time tick-tock.

• 10-15-2014 11:07 AM In reply to

• plucena24
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-10-2012
    • Mountain View, CA
    • Elite
    • Points 16,865

JoeM:

I really liked the explanation about a backout plan for the redistribution task, because it was exactly how I was thinking. What do I do, if I am not on top of my game in the lab (nerves or whatever)?  Do I spend a lot of time on it, or do I sacrifice the 5 points and come back? (5 is a lot of points).

Time tick-tock.

Full Scale Lab 1 was done with the goal of providing the tools and explanations that would enable the person doing it to learn from their weak areas. The redistribution portion was "difficult" - but it provided explanations that would hopefully resinate and expose you to different ways of accomplishing objectives. 

With that being said, the difficulty level has been changed from a 6 to a 7. 

For those of you that are struggling with a particular task, going back to the ATC Videos and Advanced Tech Labs on that particular area(s) is crucial for your studies. This will help reinforce your knowledge and start bridging gaps.

I'll be more than glad to help out if you need clarifications or further explanations on any of the tasks. 

Regards,

2xCCIE #38211 (RS/SP)

• Post Points: 35
  • 10-15-2014 11:28 AM In reply to

• JoeM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Guadalajara, Mexico
    • Elite
    • Points 31,005

hee hee hee    7/10 sounds good.

Maybe this is a good place to ask about the interface numbering.   In the core, I see  .1 and .2   vs using the number of the router.  This makes physical interfaces more difficult to track. More glancing back at the map to be sure I am verifying the correct routers.

Was this on purpose?   Should we expect this kind of numbering in the future labs.

Thanks again for all of the hard work.

• 10-15-2014 12:09 PM In reply to

Thank you Plucena. I'm definitely going to go back through the videos to see where I'm missing things. Thank you for chaning the "level" of the lab. Please don't assume that's what I was getting at by posting this. I trust INE's assesment of the materials, it was just a little frustrating to me and a real eye opener. I guess more video watching is in my future. Thanks again.

• Post Points: 5
  • 10-15-2014 12:56 PM In reply to

• plucena24
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-10-2012
    • Mountain View, CA
    • Elite
    • Points 16,865

JoeM:

Maybe this is a good place to ask about the interface numbering.   In the core, I see  .1 and .2   vs using the number of the router.  This makes physical interfaces more difficult to track. More glancing back at the map to be sure I am verifying the correct routers.

Was this on purpose?   Should we expect this kind of numbering in the future labs.

The interface numbering was done like that on purpose. You can guide yourself by the 3rd octet and narrow it down to 2 routers (3 on LAN segments). If the router number does not equal the 4th octent, then the lowest IP on the subnet is the lowest router number on the segment. For example, R3 and R4 - 10.0.34.x/30 - R3 is .1 and R4 is .2. . Had this been a /31, R3 would have been .0 and R4 .1. Same goes for v6. 

You won't know what you'll end up with when you take the real lab/ts, so its good to break away from the old habit during full scale labs of having the interface numbering be something thats familiar to you. Its not uncommon seeing stuff like this in the real world too =). 

2xCCIE #38211 (RS/SP)

• 01-05-2015 7:21 AM In reply to

This perhaps is a bone question, but what would we say an actual CCIE Lab is rated at 10/10? 9/10?

Ive also tried the full scal labs setting aside 5 hrs. I understood everything but I really couldnt type fast enough for the Volume of taks! Hopefully Ill get quicker with more practice. :-)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
IEOC CCIE Forums Internetwork Expert CCIE Training
About IEOC | Terms of Use | RSS | Privacy Policy
© 2010 Internetwork Expert, Inc. All Rights Reserved