in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 05-13-2011 1:17 AM by AmericanDreamer. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-10-2011 11:20 PM

How to drastically lower CPU Utilization when using GNS3

Hello boys and girls,

I know that many of us have issues with our PC's CPU pegging out when we run GNS, but I think that I have found a solution to drastically lower load on the CPU.

I ran across a site that provided info on how to drop your PC's CPU load while running GNS by editing your .net file. If you use the "idlemax" command in conjunction with changing the "idlepc" value, you will definitely notice the difference. It dropped my processes by a huge amount with the full INE lab
    running. Each dynamips process is now running under 10%!!!

Check it out for yourself. HTHs!!! Big Smile

http://journeyofanetworkengineer.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-minimize-cpu-usage-when-using.html

Edwin Cambell

--

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

• Post Points: 20
  • 05-11-2011 6:26 PM In reply to

Re: How to drastically lower CPU Utilization when using GNS3

Nice Find...works like a champ!!  I went from 45-55 percent cpu utilization to approximately 10 - 16 percent.  Core2Duo 2.66Ghz 8 GB Ram. what was the site where you found the tip?

CCNA-Security (Just gettin started!)
    Just a blind squrrel lookin for an acorn or two...

"You ain't paranoid if you know someone is out to get you!" - Unkown Security Professional

• Post Points: 35
  • 05-11-2011 11:10 PM In reply to

you are the best!   cpu is swinging from 10% to 18% now,the same full lab was 40-45%

I'm cutting down electricity bills now ;)

• Post Points: 5
  • 05-13-2011 1:17 AM In reply to

I'm glad that I could help Big Smile. That info was found at:

http://journeyofanetworkengineer.blogspot.com/

Edwin Cambell

--

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
IEOC CCIE Forums Internetwork Expert CCIE Training
About IEOC | Terms of Use | RSS | Privacy Policy
© 2010 Internetwork Expert, Inc. All Rights Reserved