in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 12-21-2010 2:51 PM by andreibot. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-21-2010 11:03 AM

Tracking the MAC address

The scenario is quite simple.

One host with no IP address connected to a L2 interface. Switch interface up/up status.

We don't have access on the host.

In which way we can find out the mac of the host.?!

There should be a way to force the host to send some L2 traffic, from switch side.

• Post Points: 20
  • 12-21-2010 1:05 PM In reply to

Re: Tracking the MAC address

Hi,

The show port-security address should provide this data. Port Security setup using default values follows:

SW1(config-if) switchport mode access

SW1(config-if) switchport port-security

If an IP phone is connected, add:

SW1(config-if) switchport port-security maximum 2

• Post Points: 20
  • 12-21-2010 2:51 PM In reply to

Re: Tracking the MAC address

Hi,

This is not working. Tried this already.

With or without port-security, to have this mac-address lerned on this L2 port there should be some traffic comming from the host.

I've seen this question on many other forums, and most of the answers were graviting around port-security. I don't why?!?! Still, nobody ack that, yeah it's working and this is the answer.

I tried using port-security and it's not working :(.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
IEOC CCIE Forums Internetwork Expert CCIE Training
About IEOC | Terms of Use | RSS | Privacy Policy
© 2010 Internetwork Expert, Inc. All Rights Reserved