in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 04-09-2017 8:45 PM by JoeM. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-23-2017 12:28 PM

Is the Route/Switch still worth it?

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I’m curious to hear if any of you have had 2nd thoughts about pursing your CCIE route switch with all the attention nowadays being focused more on SDN, Automation, Programmability, Cloud, Data Center and Security. I was prepping for my 2nd attempt at the R&S lab when I decided to put it aside about 7 months ago and focus more on the other area’s I mentioned earlier in this post. My case maybe different than most preparing for the R&S. I’m a Pre/Post sales engineer with Presales making up about 85% of my work. I was spending a minimum of 20hrs a week preparing for the lab but in partner meetings and client engagements a lot of the focus had shifted away from just routers and switches where the network was involved. New skills for the Network Engineer like python, ansible, basic cloud knowledge, Data Center architecture (spine and leaf) and security platforms seem to be where the time and energy are being invested.

In my role I need to be able to understand business goals, gather customer requirements and come up with a design/solution that the engineers are happy with, management approves of and the people who have the final say see a good ROI on. I never get as deep in the woods as the CCIE R&S requires. If I was on the Data Center or Security track I would still pursue it. Since backing off of my 2nd attempt I’ve spent most of my time learning python, getting involved with Cloud solutions and focusing more on the Data Center side of things. For me focusing on these new technologies and methods has been a plus and has improved my ability and marketability as an engineer.

• Post Points: 50
  • 03-27-2017 10:24 AM In reply to

• peety
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-23-2011
    • Redmond, WA, USA
    • Elite
    • Points 19,825

Re: Is the Route/Switch still worth it?

No second thoughts whatsoever. R&S will always be a foundation of just about everything else. SDN still builds on a foundation of R&S. Leaf/spine still builds on routing, and in some cases you've got to really know your routing stuff to know where you can reuse ASNs and link address space. Network maintenance requires good understanding of R&S fundamentals to know if it's OK to take the device out for maintenance, and if it's doing its job correctly after returning it to production after work is done.

I will say that I quit my job at Microsoft because my job became that of a software developer, as "everything" became an SDN. Would SDN skills have helped? Nope. I just didn't see the writing on the wall fast enough to find a new home that was still some sort of network engineer. I landed at a hospital, and boy oh boy is R&S still important there.

CCIE R&S #34583

Now based in Redmond, WA

• Post Points: 35
  • 03-27-2017 7:48 PM In reply to

2nd attempt, well. how close were u at 1st time should tell whether to continue or not.  once change/revision comes, it will be harder to re-take lab

• Post Points: 5
  • 03-29-2017 1:05 PM In reply to

peety:
    No second thoughts whatsoever. R&S will always be a foundation of just about everything else. SDN still builds on a foundation of R&S. Leaf/spine still builds on routing, and in some cases you've got to really know your routing stuff to know where you can reuse ASNs and link address space. Network maintenance requires good understanding of R&S fundamentals to know if it's OK to take the device out for maintenance, and if it's doing its job correctly after returning it to production after work is done.

This is totally true and i agree 100% with peety.

I am still pursuing my CCIE R&S because everything starts there.

How one could learn deeply about ISIS without knowing OSPF architecture? Spanning tree is still present in fabric path, OTV is based on routing.

I am sincere here, nobody is telling you're wrong! Do what you feel; just never quit the basic stuff :)

• 04-07-2017 12:55 PM In reply to

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I agree with all the replies about having a solid understanding of R&sS and at the same time you can develop those skills without obtaining your CCIE. I'm sure we all know of engineers without a CCIE who have a CCIE level skillset and knowledge base obtained from work experience and personal study just not pursuing the CCIE. I may come back to it just probably a different track. I loved the time spent using the labs and studying and I definitely improved my knowledge but if you've been paying attention to Cisco's apparent new business model and recent acquisitions along with the rumors that they may start selling a new network OS apart from the hardware shows the level of interest Cloud, SDN, Automation and Virtualization have been getting from most vendors these days. Software skills are becoming an important part of a Network Engineers role. Learning ansible, python and network application behavior is time well spent.

I've been in partner training with Cisco where they've told us if you as a partner are still mainly focusing on R&S in coming yrs. you're going to be left behind. I'm not knocking anyone still going after it. The CCIE takes a lot time and effort plus the desire to spend that much time outside of your normal working hours show a lot of determination.

Cisco recently announced several new certs they deem to be critical in today’s environment and most if not all of them have to do with SDN and programmability. Best wishes!

• Post Points: 20
  • 04-08-2017 2:03 PM In reply to

what's all that extra stuff as follows:

"Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}"

• 04-09-2017 8:45 PM In reply to

• JoeM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Guadalajara, Mexico
    • Elite
    • Points 31,545

Good Podcast just released by PacketPushers:

PQ Show 110: Is the CCIE Fading in Value? - April 6, 2017
    http://packetpushers.net/podcast/podcasts/pq-show-110-fading-value-ccie/