in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 01-23-2017 9:59 PM by rriker. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-09-2017 6:46 AM

Distribution list with prefix and gw on RIP

Hi,

Can anyone give an example where i should use a distribution list with preflix-list and gateway at the same time? There is a specific task in ATC labs where they asked you to filter all the prefixes based on the next hop router :

This is the resolution :

ip prefix-list NOT_FROM_R4 seq 5 deny 155.1.0.4/32
    ip prefix-list NOT_FROM_R4 seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/0 le 32
    !
    ip prefix-list PERMIT_ALL seq 5 permit 0.0.0.0/0 le 32
    router rip
    distribute-list prefix PERMIT_ALL gateway NOT_FROM_R4 in

Another way to do that is :
    router rip
    distribute-list gateway NOT_FROM_R4 in

So, when i use only gateway and when i should rely on prefix-list + gateway ?
    • Post Points: 35
  • 01-11-2017 11:25 AM In reply to

Re: Distribution list with prefix and gw on RIP

You will see, in many of these solutions, that there are many different ways of doing these tasks.  If you've seen that leaving the "deny all prefixes" prefix-list portion of your solution works, then you've successfully completed the task.

• Post Points: 5
  • 01-23-2017 6:12 AM In reply to

HI Bogdan,

my understnading is that you would use the prefix only when you want to filter prefixes, no matter what GW is advertising them. Then you would add the Gateway parameter when you want to control from which Advertising router you want to apply to filter.

Let me know if I missed something,

F

• Post Points: 20
  • 01-23-2017 9:59 PM In reply to

• rriker
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-21-2013
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • Elite
    • Points 7,050

I concur on this as well. I would have explained it the same way and then demo'd the variations.

Rob Riker, CCIE #50693, CCNP Service Provider, VCP5-DCV

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
IEOC CCIE Forums Internetwork Expert CCIE Training
About IEOC | Terms of Use | RSS | Privacy Policy
© 2010 Internetwork Expert, Inc. All Rights Reserved