in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 01-27-2017 7:06 PM by Martinl. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-08-2017 5:34 PM

Dual-home PEs importing their own RT back to CE?

link in SP track but maybe should be here, anyway

is there a benefit and disadvantages to importing its own RT back to CE?

like in dual-home settup with R1 and R2 as CE in AS X;

Ra and Rb as PE in SP area; R1 links with Ra and R2 with Rb.

PE routers Ra and Rb have same RD and exporting RT a:a and importing back RT a:a. Do we really need  import a:a?

What if change RD of Ra and b to be different?

• Post Points: 5
  • 01-10-2017 6:50 PM In reply to

Re: Dual-home PEs importing their own RT back to CE?

it seems that number of routes is duplicated on PE. Ra puts Rb routes under its RD.  new routes are exact copy of what was already there but next-hop is via Rb (internal). stll Ra preffers external routes to R1, CE. 

• Post Points: 20
  • 01-11-2017 3:59 PM In reply to

• JoeM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Guadalajara, Mexico
    • Elite
    • Points 31,545

Hi Martin,

I am trying to follow what you are seeing.   Output?

A BGP expert like Peety can give a better answer, and I would love to hear the advantages/disadvantages.   I don't see a problem with the export/imports being the same for CE's within a single customer's network -- especially if there are not a lot of prefixes being traded between sites.

I have seen customers where the CE's have the same RT export/import.  I have always thought of this as simplicity or just not allocating numerous AS numbers for smaller sites.   Of course  Allow-AS or AS-Override is needed to allow the imports.

• 01-11-2017 8:53 PM In reply to

it looks like double redunndancy to me and not needed.  R1 is already backup to R2 and vice versa.  if R1 is importing its own routes back into AS , R2 sees them as duplicates.  and vice versa.

i will try to lab this

• 01-12-2017 10:32 AM In reply to

• JoeM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Guadalajara, Mexico
    • Elite
    • Points 31,545

If you are only dealing with a single CE, I cannot think of a scenario where there is an advantage to importing the same RT (from and to same CE device).  

But by default, it still should not be an issue, because the CE should not import routes when it sees its own AS number. The commands allow-as or as-override would be explicit commands that would only be used if there were remote sites with the same AS, right?

• 01-13-2017 8:12 PM In reply to

yes, as-override is configured nad neighbor SOO X:Y  on provider side must be to avoid loops.

• 01-23-2017 9:52 PM In reply to

• rriker
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-21-2013
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • Elite
    • Points 7,050

Is the CE running Multi VRF CE and learning routes from the other CE via its MPLS connection? If I understand it to be this way, disable the RT values, on Multi VRF CE they aren't needed. Site of Origin should preven the routes from getting propagated. 

I don't want to start offering add'l feedback since I don't know the design. If it is a single CE connected to 2 PEs, SIte of Origin should be enough. 

Can you provide background info on this, I'm having a hard time putting the pieces together.

Rob Riker, CCIE #50693, CCNP Service Provider, VCP5-DCV

• 01-25-2017 9:27 AM In reply to

Top PEs, Ra and PE Rb, have same RDs and exporting Green RT from Customeer X into MPLS VPN core.  I have seen some topologies where those PEs (Ra and Rb) are also importing same Green RTs back to X.  Why would one import its own routes back in?

• 01-27-2017 1:21 PM In reply to

• JoeM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Guadalajara, Mexico
    • Elite
    • Points 31,545

Hi Martin,

By default, they woud not import their own routes back in.   Because the CE's would see their own AS number (loop prevention).

If allowas-in is used on the CPE's, then the engineer would just need to understand what they are doing. I do not see a benefit or a goal for purposefully accepting already known routes.   Not optimal, but not a huge issue.

NOTE: my experience with Juniper, is that by default the PE will not advertise the AS to the same AS.   Needs an extra config line to make that happen.

I do not see AS numbers on this BGP map.  The way it is drawn, I am guessing that it is the same provider, and the CPE's are using same AS# .  Is this correct?

• 01-27-2017 7:06 PM In reply to

scenario 1: 

Different AS for X and Y. but still top PE import and export both Green routes, aka route-target both 1:2

I know, i do not see reason for it but still some examples are with importing /exporting own routes.

scenario 2:

Same AS for X and Y; Here PE routers need to do As-override and add SOO to prevnet loops, correct?  

Same issue, is there a need for exporting and importing same routes ?  

maybe redundancy?

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
IEOC CCIE Forums Internetwork Expert CCIE Training
About IEOC | Terms of Use | RSS | Privacy Policy
© 2010 Internetwork Expert, Inc. All Rights Reserved