in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 12-01-2016 8:57 PM by mhafaneh. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2016 8:57 PM

Possible Correction in Keith Bogart's TCP Segment Creation Overview

Searched and didn't see this discussed, but hopefully it can be corrected somehow.  

In Keith Bogart's course on Understanding TCP - TCP Segment Creation Overview, there is a discrepency related to how he explains MSS is used.  The explanation is both the sender and receiver will use the lower of the 2 MSS values during the initial handshake.  I believe this is incorrect from my experience and the explanation in the RFC:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc879

3. The TCP Maximum Segment Size Option

TCP provides an option that may be used at the time a connection is established (only) to indicate the maximum size TCP segment that can be accepted on that connection. This Maximum Segment Size (MSS) announcement (often mistakenly called a negotiation) is sent from the data receiver to the data sender and says "I can accept TCP segments up to size X". The size (X) may be larger or smaller than the default. The MSS can be used completely independently in each direction of data flow. The result may be quite different maximum sizes in the two directions. 

I am really happy this course exists on INE.  I have learned new things and it has been good review for a lot as well.  
    Just wanted to make sure all the info is correct for future students.

CCIE # 38734

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
IEOC CCIE Forums Internetwork Expert CCIE Training
About IEOC | Terms of Use | RSS | Privacy Policy
© 2010 Internetwork Expert, Inc. All Rights Reserved