in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 07-02-2015 7:04 PM by JoeM. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-02-2015 7:04 PM

• JoeM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Guadalajara, Mexico
    • Elite
    • Points 31,545

JunOS Intro -- excellent for the Cisco trained

Hats off to INE for the JunOS Intro course for Network Engineers (Cisco trained)

I needed to ramp-up on JunOS for a possible migration.  This series made it easy to transfer my understanding of the basic technologies (cisco studies) over to the JunOS structure and command-line.

BrianM went back-and-forth between the standard IOS command-line and the JunOS command-line, sometimes showing IOS-XR also.

Thanks.  Please keep these kind of videos coming for the AAP members.

Setup used for JunOS practice:

I was able to download a demo JunOS VM image for free from the Juniper website.

After I installed the VM in Virtual-Box, it was a simple installation into GNS3 as a VM.

With 8 gigs on my laptop, I easily loaded a few JunOS images (cloned) and built IGP networks for practice/testing.   

JunOS VM image vs IOS-vXR image

JunOS is a much lighter image to install than IOS-vXR (demo downloaded).     2gigs on harddrive + 1gig memory    I think I must have 3GB memory for a single XR vm image to come up. (please correct me if I am wrong about this).

Only initial problem with using either VM images, was configuring the virtual interfaces.   Again, JunOS was much easier to setup, once it was understood. 

But IOS-XR seems to reboot with unpredictable interfaces, very difficult to have a saved lab using multiple interfaces.  Finally, I just went with a single interface in XR and trunked it to a switch (INE style).

JunOS has a Stateful Firewall by default -- arrrggh (many hours lost on this)

This cost me many hours. I knew I had a security issue, but did not know how to disable it.  Finally BrianM explained the issue and the fix  @14 minutes of this video --     JunOS Ethernet Interfaces & Ethernet Switching :: Part 2

configure
    delete security

### following three commands changed from flow-based -- BrianM
    set security forwarding-options family mpls  mode packet-based
    set security forwarding-options family iso   mode packet-based
    set security forwarding-options family inet6 mode packet-based
    commit and-quit

### must reboot to have affect
    request system reboot

Links for VM Installation:   I will need to look this up again.  Started at GNS3 forum.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
IEOC CCIE Forums Internetwork Expert CCIE Training
About IEOC | Terms of Use | RSS | Privacy Policy
© 2010 Internetwork Expert, Inc. All Rights Reserved