in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 03-27-2015 8:10 AM by Jahanzeb. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-25-2013 1:31 PM

Passed CCIE SP Lab. Now Dual CCIE#35565

Hello IEOC,

I have passed the CCIE SP Lab yesterday at Brussels. The results came in pretty fast aroung 10 PM. I will share my experience here. I will only share thinggs pertinating to the SP lab. There are many other posts abou the lab in general, preparations, what to expect, the proctors, etc.... Here we go:

1. Don't forget to commit your changes
    2. Don't forget to create the BGP_PASS RPL to allow eBGP routes to pass
    3. Check each and every step on the way. You do not want to be troubleshooting CSC problem because one of your LDP session was not up. 
    4. Logging is disabled on all the IOS devices with "no logging on / no logging console". I enable it but checked with the proctor who told me to make sure to put disabled it back at the end of my lab, which I did. Do not assume anything, you have a doubt, ask the proctor.
    5. Keep track of :
      • BGP peerings (Route reflector for IPv4/IPv6 VPNv4/VPNv6)
      • RPs per site
      • MSDP Peerings
    6. Use the command 'ip route profile' to make sure that your routing is stable.
    7. There's a lot of reverse engineering in the lab. Many things are pre build for you with many many faults in IPv4 and IPv6 for all address families so know even worst get acquainted your protocols (BGP, OSPF, IS-IS,EIGRP, RIP, PIM) for both address families
    8. Verify all your neighboring as you go. OSPF, IS-IS, BGP, LDP, RSVP, PIM,etc… You do not want to troubleshooting OSPF neighboring because your MPLS TE is not working. You can waste a lot of time. Things build up as go. The further you go in the lab, the harder it will become to see small details.
    9. Besides the DOC-CD, Notepad is your next best friend. Many configurations are repetitive. You will gain time and reduce the chance of making a mistake by using it. I had 3 notepad widows one for TCL scripts, another one called "AT THE END" to put back the configurations I changed like logging, and another one for copy/paste configs to save time. 
    10. Read the lab end to end before starting type. Everyword is important. The lab is pretty self explanatory but you have to know your stuff hence you need speed and accuracy.
    11. It's harder than the R&S lab but easier because to study because of less topic to focus on.
    12. Sent private emails to Brian and he helps out a lot. Even Mark Snow was available to meet me personally in Columbus, Ohio. How cool is that ?
    13. I was tested on all possible PE-CE Routing protocols, filtering and loop avoidance techniques.
    14. Use TCL scripts to check reachability for all address families. It's crutial. SP is all about reachability and doing the way they wanted it.
    15. Found 2 typos in the lab: OPSF instead of OSPF and PIM-SW instead of PIM-SM. I was kind enough to send a feedback :)

Trivials:

1. during the end, my Internet Explorer froze. After killing the process in the Task Manager, I was not able to log back in the lab to display the tasks. I still had access to the devices. After multiple attemps with the proctor, we decided to save my configs and logg off. BY doing that, I lost all my TCL scripts and notepad notes. Lesson: do not open multiple IE windows even when going for the documentation.
    2. Request for reread after passing the lab ?????: You can request a reread even when you pass the lab. How stupid is that?????
    3. Now INE owes me 2 CCIE shirts :(
    Do not hesitate if you have questions, I will help out as much as I can without breaking NDA of course ;)

Malick Ndiaye

"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day" Wink

• Post Points: 170
  • 09-25-2013 2:10 PM In reply to

Re: Passed CCIE SP Lab. Now Dual CCIE#35565

Woow!! Excellent post!

Congrats, enjoy your number!!

• Post Points: 5
  • 09-25-2013 2:18 PM In reply to

Congrats Malick for this achievement.

Thanks for sharing experience. That will inspire all of us.

Congrats and Enjoy your number.

Kinds Regards,

Kalmogo,

Become an Expert by helping others to become Experts.

• Post Points: 20
  • 09-25-2013 5:40 PM In reply to

Contratulations!

Enjoy your success & thanks for sharing nice experience.

• 09-25-2013 5:47 PM In reply to

Congrats Malick,

In Your lab exam, did you manage to reverified all the task requirements?

CCIE #29281 (R/S,SP)

• 09-25-2013 9:38 PM In reply to

Hello

Fortunatly, yes. I managed to run all my TCL ping scripts again and verified all tasks. I was lucky because I found couple of small mistakes which would have cost me points. Big Smile

Malick Ndiaye

• Post Points: 35
  • 09-26-2013 2:04 AM In reply to

congratulatons...

• 09-26-2013 2:14 AM In reply to

Congrats man!

Couple of questions if you could oblige. When you asked the proctor re logging etc did you use/mention using mpls label range x y on each router and need to remove at the end? Secondly I'm curious did you used Gold labs in your studies?  I have heard the difficulty level is similar, although I find that hard to believe as their labs are quite straightforward.

Cheers and again congrats.

CCIE SP #40869

• 09-26-2013 3:42 PM In reply to

A very helpful write-up.  Thank you Malick!

• 09-26-2013 4:34 PM In reply to

Hello,

I did use mpls label range x y during my preparation because it does help so see the traffic flow of MPLS packets. However I did not use it in the real lab. I would assume that as long as it works and it does not interfer with other tasks then it's safe to use it.

I did use Gold Labs, their tasks are straighforward like in the real lab but you have more tasks in the real lab. It's good practice though. Do not hesitate to customize the golden labs with you own scenarios ;)

HTH

Malick Ndiaye

• 09-26-2013 4:35 PM In reply to

You're welcome Izack.

Malick Ndiaye

• 09-27-2013 11:33 AM In reply to

ndiayemalick:

Hello,

I did use mpls label range x y during my preparation because it does help so see the traffic flow of MPLS packets. However I did not use it in the real lab. I would assume that as long as it works and it does not interfer with other tasks then it's safe to use it.

I did use Gold Labs, their tasks are straighforward like in the real lab but you have more tasks in the real lab. It's good practice though. Do not hesitate to customize the golden labs with you own scenarios ;)

HTH

Cheers dude

CCIE SP #40869

• 09-27-2013 3:06 PM In reply to

Congratulations on earning your second CCIE! I'm sorry we have missed your request for a shirt in the past. Please follow this link to order a shirt or two and specify your CCIE # as CCIE #35565 (x2) and I will process your invoice (http://store.ine.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=2201&category_id=0). Please note that US sizing standards run larger than in other places in the world and that due to the customization process, your order may take 2-3 weeks to arrive. 

Thank you for sharing your success story! :) 

~Jessica Oldow

INE 

Student Services Coordinator 

Filed under:
  • 09-30-2013 12:03 PM In reply to

Malick congratulations!

It is a great achievement im happy a lot for you. Keep it up like this

• 09-30-2013 7:23 PM In reply to