in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 02-20-2013 1:27 PM by JoeM. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-20-2013 3:59 AM

EIGRP Is Not Cisco Baby Anymore

www.cisco.com/go/eigrp

http://www.ietf.org/staging/draft-savage-eigrp-00.txt

HTH...

Deepak Arora

Evil CCIE

http://deepakarora1984.blogspot.com

• Post Points: 35
  • 02-20-2013 4:31 AM In reply to

Re: EIGRP Is Not Cisco Baby Anymore

Should be a good study resource for CCIE candidates to read the draft. Interesting to see if other vendors will implement it.

• Post Points: 5
  • 02-20-2013 8:19 AM In reply to

• JoeM
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Guadalajara, Mexico
    • Elite
    • Points 18,755

This is great news!      During my studies,  I have learned to really like EIGRP.   But, I would never recommend EIGRP, soley because it is proprietary.    To me, it has always been like the VHS vs Beta war  and anything else similar that has a proprietary product involved.   This is likely going to rock the networking world.  The options have really opened up.

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts of the experts on this forum.

What are the catches?  There have to be strings attached, right?

Are there licensing issues for other vendors?

How fast will other vendors throw this into their products?

• Post Points: 20
  • 02-20-2013 9:42 AM In reply to

• JoeM
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Guadalajara, Mexico
    • Elite
    • Points 18,755

Here is someone's blog opinion 

I am not sure that I have a problem with Cisco maintaining control of the protocol.  Linus still controls Linux to a degree, right?

But I suppose this may be a way for Cisco to release EIGRP Light -- with promises of Advanced Features -- if using their hardware.  That would defnitely be a strong string attached (or rope attached lol).

Why Is Cisco Bothering With “Open” EIGRP? -- Packet Pushers, Jan 31

-------------------------excerpt-----------------------------

What Cisco should have said in its announcement was that, “Cisco EIGRP is now an open standard, but…” The article goes on to list three things that irked me right away, and gave me the notion to rename their article.

1. Advanced features of EIGRP (namely stub areas) will not be released to the IETF.
    2. Informational RFC allows Cisco to retain control of the EIGRP protocol.
    3. EIGRP is still technically proprietary.

-----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:   link to Cisco's FAQ on the topic

• 02-20-2013 12:46 PM In reply to

• peety
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Redmond, WA, USA
    • Elite
    • Points 15,475

JoeM:

This is great news!      During my studies,  I have learned to really like EIGRP.   But, I would never recommend EIGRP, soley because it is proprietary.    To me, it has always been like the VHS vs Beta war  and anything else similar that has a proprietary product involved.   This is likely going to rock the networking world.  The options have really opened up.

I vote against EIGRP for three reasons:

1: Challenging to control the overall topology metrics, especially with QoS in place (as QoS often uses the configured bandwidth to derive its values). In my world, bandwidth is of no use in setting link metrics.

2: Unequal-cost load-splitting can (and will) lead to truly excess hops (imagine a triangle of routers R1/R2/R3, links are all metric=1, variance >=2. R1 can send to R3 direct or via R2. R1 sends 2/3 of traffic direct, and 1/3 to R2.  R2 sends 2/3 of the indirect traffic direct to R3, and 1/3 of the indirect traffic BACK to R1. At this point, 2/3 of the traffic went direct to R3, 2/9 of the traffic went indirect to R3, and 1/9 of the traffic is back where it started!)

3: Lack of support for the necessary inner workings for MPLS Traffic Engineering.

CCIE R&S #34583

Now based in Redmond, WA

• 02-20-2013 1:02 PM In reply to

As long as the "Open" part of EIGRP is still limited, then to my mind it is still a proprietary protocol, and should not be considered for use in a modern network.

It will be interesting to see if any other companies pick it up. Until a credible vendor offers it on their equipment, it's still effectively a closed shop. 

CCIE 36708 | @northlandboy | lkhill.com

• 02-20-2013 1:27 PM In reply to

• JoeM
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Guadalajara, Mexico
    • Elite
    • Points 18,755

I think other vendors will jump on it if there are no hidden costs (like licensing for the full shabang).    It would give their non-Cisco Sales staff another way to get their foot-in-the-door at Cisco shops.  Sales and Marketing.

"Your network is using EIGRP.  No problem.  Our product has EIGRP also."

To prove this prediction, Juniper will probably be the big one to watch.  But also the firewall companies have routing protocols integrated.  Another checkbox on the marketing sheet, even if it doesn't really fly with Network Engineers.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
IEOC CCIE Forums Internetwork Expert CCIE Training
About IEOC | Terms of Use | RSS | Privacy Policy
© 2010 Internetwork Expert, Inc. All Rights Reserved