in
IEOC CCIE Forums

IEOC - INE's Online Community

Welcome to INE's Online Community - IEOC - a place for CCIE and CCENT candidates to connect, share, and learn. Our Online Community features CCIE forums and discussions for all tracks including Routing & Switching, Voice, Security, Service Provider, Wireless,, and Storage. Through these online communities you can discuss your questions with thousands of your peers, hundreds of CCIE's and INE's own team of world renowned CCIE instructors and authors, Brian Dennis - Quintuple CCIE #2210, Brian McGahan – Triple CCIE #8593, Petr Lapukhov - Quad CCIE #16379, and Mark Snow - Dual CCIE #14073.
Latest post 06-04-2011 5:41 PM by DarrellEscola. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-04-2011 5:06 PM

When are RTs attached to routes?

Hello,

Reviewing things and browsing the Vol 1 labs, i realised that i don't exactlly know when the RTs are attached to routes.

For example in the Vol1 "MPLS VPNs and VRF Export MAP" the sollution is to make a export map and change at this level the RTs. I tested to change them at the redistribute rip to bgp level and nothing happened.

So the dilema is: where the RT is first attached and where can it be changed?

Thanks

Ciprian

• Post Points: 20
  • 06-04-2011 5:41 PM In reply to

Re: When are RTs attached to routes?

Ciprian,

Route-Targets are attached to prefixes in MP-BGP when the VRF exports the prefixes to BGP (or you can think of BGP importing the prefixes from the VRF - the import/export under the VRF are from the perspective of the VRF, so it is really better to think of the VRF exporting the prefix to BGP).

Under the VRF, the route-target export <RT> or export-map <route-map> determines which route-target is attached to the prefixes as they are exported from the VRF into BGP.

The route-target inport <RT> or import-map <route-map> determines which RT(s) will be matched to import prefixes from BGP into the VRF.

I don't know where you would need to change a RT value once it has been assigned - you can import multiple RTs from BGP to a VRF to implement route leaking: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk832/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080231a3e.shtml

cnicules:

Hello,

Reviewing things and browsing the Vol 1 labs, i realised that i don't exactlly know when the RTs are attached to routes.

For example in the Vol1 "MPLS VPNs and VRF Export MAP" the sollution is to make a export map and change at this level the RTs. I tested to change them at the redistribute rip to bgp level and nothing happened.

So the dilema is: where the RT is first attached and where can it be changed?

Thanks

Ciprian

Darrell A. Escola, B.Sc. IT
    MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD, Linux+

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
IEOC CCIE Forums Internetwork Expert CCIE Training
About IEOC | Terms of Use | RSS | Privacy Policy
© 2010 Internetwork Expert, Inc. All Rights Reserved